Hyperlinks in Microsoft applications (access, word, excel, etc)

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by nome, Feb 1, 2007.

  1. nome

    nome Guest

    Hello

    Hoping someone can help explain the following behaviour.
    I have an application that does a series of redirects before hitting
    in a login page.

    If I insert this application hyperlink to any MS office 2003 product,
    say MS Access and click on it I get strange browser session behaviour
    with both IE7 and Firefox 2.0.

    It seems that clicking on the link in MS Access creates a 'hidden'
    browser session with one session id. At the point the redirects hit
    the login page and a 200 is returned then an actual broswer window is
    opened with a different session and session id. Anything written into
    the first session by my application (session variables and cookies)
    are lost further down the line due to this break in sessions.

    If I click on the link off a web page the session remains constant
    throughout.

    I was wondering why there is this hidden browser session and is
    session url rewriting the only way around this issue?

    cheers for any help and advice

    nome, Feb 1, 2007

  2. At the point the link is clicked in an office application the app does not
    know what resource type it is going to receive. It doesn't assume it will
    be HTML or in some way browser oriented, for all it knows the link could
    pull another excel or word document.

    The office app will ask the WinInet stack to fetch the resource. WinInet
    will then automatically follow any redirects until it gets the final
    response.

    On realising that a browser is needed the current default browser is
    launched and it takes over.

    The problem is that temporary (or transient cookies) such as that used to
    maintain an ASP Session are stored in process memory. Now that a new
    process has been launched (or an existing browser process) has been given
    responsiblity for handling the request any subsequent requests will not have
    access the cookies previously generated during the redirects.

    Anthony.

    Anthony Jones, Feb 1, 2007

  3. nome

    nome Guest

    hi - thanks for the reply.
    so there is nothing that can be done then?
    cheers

    nome, Feb 1, 2007
  4. Make the link go directly to a page. Then have that page use J(ava)Script
    or meta tag to goto the original link you were using.

    Anthony Jones, Feb 1, 2007