i wanna get involved

Cam

Hi,

So reading that thread on certification made me really want to get
involved in some rad coding. I've been dabbling around in lots of
programming langagues the past few years, but other than writing
little demo-games/scripts/etc, I haven't done anything real
substantial. Lately I've just been using java (school), but of course
I would like to use my favorite Ruby. Anyway, I was just wanting to
know if there are any projects out there that wouldn't mind some help,
and could maybe offer a little bit of coaching/etc. along the way.=20
What's out there?

Thanks,
Cameron Matheson

James Edward Gray II

Hi,

So reading that thread on certification made me really want to get
involved in some rad coding. I've been dabbling around in lots of
programming langagues the past few years, but other than writing
little demo-games/scripts/etc, I haven't done anything real
substantial. Lately I've just been using java (school), but of course
I would like to use my favorite Ruby. Anyway, I was just wanting to
know if there are any projects out there that wouldn't mind some help,
and could maybe offer a little bit of coaching/etc. along the way.
What's out there?

I'm currently building a FasterCSV library, but it's taking me longer
than it should because I'm super swamped and trying to get ready to
go on vacation Monday morning. I could describe stages of the
project to you as I have time and turn you loose to implement them.

Fair warning: I have a very clear image in my head of what this
project needs to be and I want it exactly that way. If you're
looking for a lot of freedom to play around with ideas, keep
looking. ;) This would be more like coding to a specification. I'm
picky.

If I haven't scared you off yet and this sounds interesting, email me
off list.

James Edward Gray II

Zach Dennis

I have a side project (webstar-tools) on rubyforge which needs some love
and attention. Unlike James proposal this would have pretty good freedom
, although I would have you follow a loose guideline. Since it was
partially a learning experience for me I dont see why I wouldn't offer
you the same benefit!

The project would entail usage of file i/o, xml document manipulation
with rexml, regex's, and working with the optparse library. It isn't a
huge project, and it isn't something to where there is a time limit, so
it'd be pretty flexible, and coaching is available...for free, from me.
Although I dont have quite the rep as some other folks like....*cough*
*cough* Mr Gray =)

If you are interested please contact me off list.

Zach

Gregory Brown

What's out there?

There is a need for a pure Ruby charting library. If you were
interested in working on that, could coach you because I need it
badly for one of my projects.

James and I also need a kickass Gambit game.=20
(http://gambit.rubyforge.org) which could be a fun way to get started.

My current time sink is Ruport (http://ruport.rubyforge.org) and if
you have experience with databases and reporting, you could help out,
but this project is moving really quickly and changing on a day to day
basis.

You could also go fix the outstanding bug on HighLine and send a patch
to either me or James.

(http://rubyforge.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/highline/TODO?rev=3D1.25&cvsroot=
=3Dhighline&content-type=3Dtext/vnd.viewcvs-markup)

I'm basically a ruby newbie myself or very close to it, so let me
offer you some advice. DON'T start a free software project until you
feel that you are ready. It's a lot better to work with someone who
has some experience and get a feel for how to build good software. I
trainwrecked in perl for 4 years because I was trying to go it alone.

So I think it's great that you are asking around. Keep an eye on the
list, and also, go check out RubyForge and see if anything out there
catches your eye. There are a ton of great projects out there, you
just have to find one that you find interesting or fun.

Feel free to contact me off list about any of the above.

Cam

Hi Zach!

I have a side project (webstar-tools) on rubyforge which needs some love
and attention. Unlike James proposal this would have pretty good freedom
, although I would have you follow a loose guideline. Since it was
partially a learning experience for me I dont see why I wouldn't offer
you the same benefit!

Hmm, that sounds pretty cool. I hadn't heard of webstar but it looks
like it is a server for web, mail, ftp, webdav, etc? I don't have any
mac's though--would that be an issue?
The project would entail usage of file i/o, xml document manipulation
with rexml, regex's, and working with the optparse library. It isn't a
huge project, and it isn't something to where there is a time limit, so
it'd be pretty flexible, and coaching is available...for free, from me.

That sounds nice.
Although I dont have quite the rep as some other folks like....*cough*
*cough* Mr Gray =3D)

meh. I don't know much about reputations on the list anyway.

cam

Cam

sorry i forgot that ruby-talk changes the reply-to address... i'll try
to keep these personal replies off-list from now on.

thanks,
cam

Kirk Haines

I would like to use my favorite Ruby. Anyway, I was just wanting to
know if there are any projects out there that wouldn't mind some help,
and could maybe offer a little bit of coaching/etc. along the way.
What's out there?

LOL. There are many, many, many different projects that could probably use a
little help. Find a subject area that is interesting to you, then see what
projects are in that subject area. Odds are that you'll find someone who can
offer you something interesting.

Kirk Haines

James Edward Gray II

... which is about when? I have a couple that I wanted to try out
usin Gambit.

Probably after I finish my book, if it is to wait on my attention.
It's just eating too much of my free time right now. :(

We'll see if Greg gets ambitious before then though... ;)

James Edward Gray II

Gregory Brown

Probably after I finish my book, if it is to wait on my attention.
It's just eating too much of my free time right now. :(

We'll see if Greg gets ambitious before then though... ;)

A thanksgiving codefest might be in the works. But that's an unreliable mi=
ght.

Otherwise, mid january is my next big chunk of time. I'm also working
on some major projects, but I should find some time around then :)

Chris McMahon

The Watir project (wtr.rubyforge.org) is always looking for help. I
know Bret Pettichord was looking for someone to fix some issues with
Ruby's Win32OLE library to support Watir, and we have trouble with Ruby
threads on Win32 as well.

Eric Hodel

So reading that thread on certification made me really want to get
involved in some rad coding. I've been dabbling around in lots of
programming langagues the past few years, but other than writing
little demo-games/scripts/etc, I haven't done anything real
substantial. Lately I've just been using java (school), but of course
I would like to use my favorite Ruby. Anyway, I was just wanting to
know if there are any projects out there that wouldn't mind some help,
and could maybe offer a little bit of coaching/etc. along the way.
What's out there?

Check out your local ruby group, too.

http://www.rubygarden.org/ruby?RubyUserGroups

If you don't have one, ask for people to join up here on the mailing
list.