[IDE] - need a simple IDE which lists methods and variables

Ilias Lazaridis

I like to try ruby a little bit more.

SciTE is very nice to compare languages.

FreeIDE look very nice, too.

But I like to have the following:

when typing:

talker.

a list should popup, showing me the available methods and variables.

if I scroll to a method, a window should popup, to show me the help-text
of the method.

is this available for SciTE / FreeIDE - possibly as an extension?

If not, what would be the estimated effort to implement this into FreeIDE?

or can you suggest me another free IDE product which has this behaviour?

..

Malte Milatz

Ilias Lazaridis:
when typing:
talker.
a list should popup, showing me the available methods and variables. [...]
or can you suggest me another free IDE product which has this behaviour?

Not what you're looking for, but: you can do this in irb. Search the
Rubygarden wiki for useful irbrc code, then you can do, e.g.:

talker.m<TAB><TAB>

and you get all instance methods starting with m.

Malte

Yohanes Santoso

Ilias Lazaridis said:
when typing:
talker.
a list should popup, showing me the available methods and variables.

This has been discussed recently. Please see ruby-talk:135770

YS.

Rob .

Lothar said:
Hello Rob,

R> I'm developing method autocompletion for the jEdit Ruby Editor Plugin,
R> using the "if it quacks, it waddles" approach. Unfortunately you'll
R> have to wait a couple of weeks for me to get it finished.

Read his message again, he wants something like "if it exists, then it
...."

I think what I'm developing is close to what Ilias wants ...

Initially I create a cache of available modules/classes/methods. I
infer the possible classes of a variable based on how you've
previously used it, then provide a popup of all methods available on
the inferred set of classes. I have this roughly working at present.
Just need to write the code to keep the cache updated as you edit the
ruby files.

Cheers,
Rob

Rob .

Ilias said:
jedit is written in java.

I would need an IDE written in ruby or C/C++.

Java, despite it's shortcomings as a language, does run on GNU/Linux,
Mac OS X, Solaris and Windows. Why do you require that the editor you
use be written in Ruby or C/C++?

Rob

Lothar Scholz

Hello Rob,

R> Initially I create a cache of available modules/classes/methods. I
R> infer the possible classes of a variable based on how you've
R> previously used it, then provide a popup of all methods available on
R> the inferred set of classes. I have this roughly working at present.
R> Just need to write the code to keep the cache updated as you edit the
R> ruby files.

How do you handle the parsing ?

Do you require the files and hope that there is no side affect, or do
you use something like parsetree ?

How do you do handle binary extensions ? This seems to be the biggest
part of the problem. I previously tried to convert the ri database (which
are simple yaml files) but i run into the problem that the database
format is not stable at the moment.

Rob .

Lothar said:
R> Initially I create a cache of available modules/classes/methods.

How do you handle the parsing ?

Do you require the files and hope that there is no side affect, or do
you use something like parsetree ?

I'm using the JRuby parser to determine the structure, and regular
expressions to find the start offset of each module/class/method.
JRuby defines a NodeVisitor interface to be implemented by visitors of
the JRuby AST. Each node calls the visit method appropriate to its
type. Here is the NodeVisitor interface:
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs....by/src/org/jruby/ast/visitor/NodeVisitor.java

Big thanks to the JRuby team for their work!
How do you do handle binary extensions ?

I don't yet. ;)
This seems to be the biggest part of the problem. I previously tried to
convert the ri database (which are simple yaml files) but i run into the
problem that the database format is not stable at the moment.

I'll let you know if I have any ideas.

Rob

Ilias Lazaridis

Belorion said:
Why, exactly? If the tool fits, why not use it? I like jEdit better
than any other editor I've ever used, personally.

please see answer below (to "Rob")

..

primitiveworker

Just use Vim (http://vim.sourceforge.net/).

You can modify it. You can even use ruby to modify it.

You can use the cream (http://cream.sourceforge.net/) variant install
of vim while you're getting used to the editor.

It has an active community of developers/tweakers.

The ruby community has tips:
http://wiki.rubyonrails.com/rails/show/HowtoUseVimWithRails
http://www.rubygarden.org/ruby?VimRubySupport
http://vim-ruby.rubyforge.org/

You won't get tight integration like IDEA and Java, but it's a very
productive environment. (Although there's talk that the next version,
7.0 will permit Intellisense and such. Adding language-specific
support to vim is trivial.)

I hope you find what you're looking for.

Ilias Lazaridis

primitiveworker said:
Just use Vim (http://vim.sourceforge.net/).

You can modify it. You can even use ruby to modify it.

You can use the cream (http://cream.sourceforge.net/) variant install
of vim while you're getting used to the editor.

It has an active community of developers/tweakers.

The ruby community has tips:
http://wiki.rubyonrails.com/rails/show/HowtoUseVimWithRails
http://www.rubygarden.org/ruby?VimRubySupport
http://vim-ruby.rubyforge.org/

You won't get tight integration like IDEA and Java, but it's a very
productive environment. (Although there's talk that the next version,
7.0 will permit Intellisense and such. Adding language-specific
support to vim is trivial.)

I hope you find what you're looking for.

I've overflown the links, and it looks very intresting.

Thank's for the thorough information.

..

Martin Ankerl

I've overflown the links, and it looks very intresting.

People with no german background might not understand what you wanted to
say. You probably want to say 'skim' instead of 'overflown' which is a
word-for-word translation of the german word 'überfliegen', but
unfortunately 'overflown' means something completely different, namely
'überlaufen'.

martinus