I'm constrained to retain frames...

John O. Kopf

I have "inherited" a web site (http://www.scvcma.org/) that has grown
over the years and has become clumsy to maintain, with links to other
pages stuck here and there. I'm constrained to retain frames.

it's based on Frames (the Header frame, the Menu frame, and the View
frame); I want to change it over so different menus can be loaded. Since
each menu will have it's own main View page, I'd like to be able for
each menu to load that page into the View frame. I've tried using the
<BODY onload()> command within each menu to call a function to load that
menu's View page, but have had no success:

<BODY onload("LoadView()") >

where:

function LoadView( )
{
parent.View.location.href ="README.html";
}

....didn't work, nor did:

function LoadView( )
{
window.View.location.replace("README.html");;
}

....so, can someone tell me how to load a new html file into ab already
existing frame?

John Kopf

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

John said:
I have "inherited" a web site (http://www.scvcma.org/) that has grown
over the years and has become clumsy to maintain, with links to other
pages stuck here and there. I'm constrained to retain frames.

it's based on Frames (the Header frame, the Menu frame, and the View
frame); I want to change it over so different menus can be loaded. Since
each menu will have it's own main View page, I'd like to be able for
each menu to load that page into the View frame. I've tried using the
<BODY onload()> command

That is the start tag of the BODY element to include an invalid attribute
specification (`onload()'); not a command at all. Valid markup would
include

<BODY onload="...">
</BODY>

which would be a HTML BODY element (whereas the element type name is
specified case-insensitive, so `<bOdY ...> ... </BoDy>' should work as well)
that has its `onload' attribute specified.

within each menu to call a function to load that
menu's View page, but have had no success:

Declare and use HTML 4.01 Transitional, use the `target' attribute, and
avoid client-side scripting for that.

<http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/>

HTH

PointedEars

John O. Kopf

Thomas said:
That is the start tag of the BODY element to include an invalid attribute
specification (`onload()'); not a command at all. Valid markup would
include

<BODY onload="...">
</BODY>

which would be a HTML BODY element (whereas the element type name is
specified case-insensitive, so `<bOdY ...> ... </BoDy>' should work as well)
that has its `onload' attribute specified.

Declare and use HTML 4.01 Transitional, use the `target' attribute, and
avoid client-side scripting for that.

<http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/>

HTH

PointedEars

That worked!!! T H A N K S ! ! ! :>}

(I'd thought that "onload" was a function, not a "variable" :>{ )

John Kopf

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

John said:
Thomas said:
[Do not use client-side scripting; use Valid Markup instead]

That worked!!!

What worked? You have quoted everything I said (which is unnecessary and
unwanted), so there is no telling what you are referring to.
T H A N K S ! ! ! :>}

You are welcome. I do not think you have understood what I was saying,
though.
(I'd thought that "onload" was a function, not a "variable" :>{ )

It is neither a function nor a variable; HTML is not a programming language.
In the mentioned context it is the name of an attribute. In proprietary DOM
scripting it is the name of a property.

BTW, your keyboard appears to be borken.

<http://jibbering.com/faq/#posting>

PointedEars