image processing library

mohangupta13

can anyone help me where to find the best image processing library for
c++
mohan gupta

Ivan Vecerina

: can anyone help me where to find the best image processing library for
: c++
: mohan gupta

You'll have to google for one. There are many different solutions
and levels of complexity, depending on the features you need,
and the platform/tools you want to work with.

Best would be to ask on a platform-specific forum
(Windows/KDE/Gnome depending on the OS, DirectX/OpenGL
depending on what you want to use for rendering).

Razii

Best would be to ask on a platform-specific forum
(Windows/KDE/Gnome depending on the OS, DirectX/OpenGL
depending on what you want to use for rendering).

Exactly. That was exactly the answer I got years ago when I asked
something on this newsgroup.

"Don't waste of precious time -- ask in windows news newsgroup."

Now how on earth is imaging, networking, threading is all
plateform-specific, bit IO isn't and is included in standard library?

dave_mikesell

Now how on earth is imaging, networking, threading is all
plateform-specific, bit IO isn't and is included in standard library?

C++ is a general purpose programming language. There are platforms on
which it runs that don't require imaging, threading, networking,
etc. Why bloat the standard library and carry it around where it
isn't needed?

You also have more choices in C++, and the ability to port already
portable open-source libraries to another platform. How would you
port Java to a platform where it's not supported?

Razii

C++ is a general purpose programming language.

Yawn. How is IO general purpose programming? It's platform specific.
If IO is general purpose, then so is networking, threading, and
especially imaging (as the question was about imaging).
You also have more choices in C++, and the ability to port already
portable open-source libraries to another platform.

C++ is much harder to port. Everyone agrees with that. For Java, in
most cases, the person won't even have to recompile his class file.
How would you port Java to a platform where it's not supported?

Huh? How would you port your C++ to a platform if there is no C++
compiler for it?

dave_mikesell

Huh?  How would you port your C++ to a platform if there is no C++
compiler for it?

You would either use a cross-compiler, or perhaps port the gcc
compiler, or just not port. Fortunately, C++ is available on more
platforms than any other language.

My point is, have you tried to port the JDK source code to another
platform? If not, why?

Razii

You would either use a cross-compiler, or perhaps port the gcc
compiler, or just not port. Fortunately, C++ is available on more
platforms than any other language.

And you could be using third-part libraries that even a c++ compiler
on that platform might not compile.
My point is, have you tried to port the JDK source code to another
platform? If not, why?

You don't have to. If JVM is available on that platform, you should be
able to run the same compiled files without even having to recompile.

dave_mikesell

You don't have to. If JVM is available on that platform, you should be
able to run the same compiled files without even having to recompile.

You're dodging the question. If the JVM is not available and you
would like to port it, how would you go about doing so?

Razii

You're dodging the question. If the JVM is not available and you
would like to port it, how would you go about doing so?

That's like saying how would you port c++ to a platform that doesn't
have a c++ compiler.

First you will port JVM to that platform, then you will run the same
compiled files on that JVM. Your answer was also same. You said that
first you will port the compiler, then port the source files and
RECOMPILE. In Java's case, first you will port JVM.

If no one is willing to port JVM to that platform, then someone still
will have to port some kind of native Java compiler (like JET), but if
they do that, why not just port JVM? I see no difference between c++
and Java here.

dave_mikesell

If no one is willing to port JVM to that platform, then someone still
will have to port some kind of native Java compiler (like JET), but if
they do that, why not just port JVM? I see no difference between c++
and Java here.

There's much more to port with a JVM, because of the enormity of the
standard library. With C++, a common axiom is "you pay for what you
use". If my application is a small single-threaded OpenGL
application, there is no need to carry around GUI, database, threads,
networking, etc. If the need arises, I choose which library I want to
use.

In practice, for what Java is used mostly for (enterprise
applications), you probably do need to carry that stuff around. C++
is used in a wider variety of application domains, however, and a huge
standard library would be prohibitive to the portability of classes of
applications.

Razii

In practice, for what Java is used mostly for (enterprise
applications),

Not true. Java is widely used on mobile devices (like phones). And
they have Java ME platform for that. Also, applications based on Java
are portable from one mobile device to a different mobile device (as
long as the mobile device has JVM). And you also need networking,
threading and image prepossessing on these devices. Guess what? They
are not in C++ standard library.

What BitTorrent client do you use? The most popular BitTorrent client
is Azureus. That's written in Java. Obviously there are more usage of
java than server apps.

Jack Klein

You would either use a cross-compiler, or perhaps port the gcc
compiler, or just not port. Fortunately, C++ is available on more
platforms than any other language.

You went to far with this statement, it is flatly incorrect. It is C,
not C++, that is the most widely available language. There is a C
compiler for every platform that has a C++ implementation, the one
included in the C++ package, if no others.

But there are C compilers for a vast number of platforms, most notably
embedded systems and digital signal processors, that do not have C++
compilers.

--
Jack Klein
Home: http://JK-Technology.Com

dave_mikesell

You went to far with this statement, it is flatly incorrect.  It is C,
not C++, that is the most widely available language.  There is a C
compiler for every platform that has a C++ implementation, the one
included in the C++ package, if no others.

But there are C compilers for a vast number of platforms, most notably
embedded systems and digital signal processors, that do not have C++
compilers.

Point ceded. I thought of this after hitting "Send" and prayed that
it wouldn't pass before the eyes of a C programmer.

dave_mikesell

Not true. Java is widely used on mobile devices (like phones). And
they have Java ME platform for that. Also, applications based on Java
are portable from one mobile device to a different mobile device (as
long as the mobile device has JVM). And you also need networking,
threading and image prepossessing on these devices. Guess what? They
are not in C++ standard library.

So you need a new type of Java platform for mobile devices? And how
many different APIs do you have to download (http://java.sun.com/
javame/reference/apis.jsp#api)? How is that different than
downloading and using C++ libraries?

Mateusz Loskot

Razii said:
And you could be using third-part libraries that even a c++ compiler
on that platform might not compile.

You don't have to. If JVM is available on that platform,
--------------------^^^^

And you have exactly the same situation here.
*if* there is no JVM, the holy Java is useless.

Please, if you are serious but not a school kid and you intent to make a
serious sign using your name.

Cheers

Mateusz Loskot

can anyone help me where to find the best image
processing library for c++

You may want to look at the Adobe Generic Image Library (GIL).
You can find support for some aspects of image processing in GDAL
library (http://gdal.org/).

Greetings