    layers. I'm starting to enjoy learning more about CSS, but I'm finding
    out what CSS cannot do. I'm very used to image swapping using HTML and
    it's weird to see it not supported with CSS.

    Jeanne D, Oct 23, 2005

  2. That depends precisely what you mean by that. There is nothing magic about
    foo { background-image: something } foo:hover { background-image:
    something_else }, but if you want to change content then you are entering
    the realms of nasty hacks.
    What exactly is "it". You haven't shown us your code, so its hard to say.
    Since IE/Mac has been abandoned by Microsoft, any code that doesn't work on
    it today is highly unlikely to work on it anytime in the future.

    CSS doesn't enforce any "one true way" of doing things.
    You are? How on earth do you do image swapping with HTML? Its pretty easy
    with JavaScript, but HTML doesn't have any facility for that sort of thing.

    David Dorward, Oct 23, 2005

  3. Jeanne D

    Jeanne D Guest

    <<Its pretty easy with JavaScript, but HTML doesn't have any facility
    for that sort of thing. >>

    That's what I should have said. Yes, JavaScript is what I use for image
    swapping on mouseovers, which works fine in all browsers. Is there a
    way to do this using CSS that will work in IE on the Mac? I think
    you've answered my question though, and it is probably not.

    <<CSS doesn't enforce any "one true way" of doing things.>>

    But if image swapping doesn't work on the Mac with CSS, I would design
    differently. I wouldn't design with images, I'd find a work around.

    Jeanne D, Oct 23, 2005
  4. Jeanne D

    Neredbojias Guest

    With neither quill nor qualm, Jeanne D quothed:
    Try again on Groundhog Day at 11:11 am sharp.
    It was weird to see it *supported* by css.

    Neredbojias, Oct 23, 2005
  5. Jeanne D

    dorayme Guest

    I think you misunderstand the relations between css, html,
    javascript. Image swapping works fine on websites using all
    three on Macs. CSS is a way to control styling, it does not
    exclude other technologies...

    __
    dorayme

    dorayme, Oct 23, 2005
  6. Jeanne D

    kchayka Guest

    Image swapping with CSS has nothing to do with Mac, Windows, Linux or
    any other platform. Whether it works or not is browser-specific.

    If you're talking about Mac-only browsers, CSS image swapping should
    work just fine in the latest versions of Safari, iCab and Omniweb, as
    well as cross-platform browsers like mozilla and Opera.

    If it doesn't work on MacIE, big deal. It's a dead browser. I wouldn't
    even bother with it unless I knew for sure I had a significant number of
    MacIE users, and that's unlikely these days.

    kchayka, Oct 25, 2005
  7. Jeanne D

    dorayme Guest

    Never had trouble with IE (Mac 5.1.6) in this regard as far as I recall...

    dorayme, Oct 25, 2005