Implementing an external datasource

Jerry Camel

On the WebLogic side of our development team, we use JNDI and access
datasources that are defined outside the actual application. This is an
advantage in several ways... Not the least is becasue our DBA's insist on
having different names for the development and production versions of the
databases. So I've had to recompile or reconfigure my web apps in order to
move them to production. To me this is a bit against the entire purpose of
development. If I have to change my code to move it to production, then
that code hasn't been tested... etc.. etc.. etc..

So... It seems to me there must be a way to implement an external
datasource as we do with WebLogic and java. Then, all I'd have to do is
update the database name in the datasource and my application would require
no changes at all.

Can someone point me in the right direction to do this? Thanks.

Jerry

Jerry Camel

That's the solution I was using... But technically, this involves changing
"tested" code when moving it from development to production. I was looking
to see if there was a way to control the datasource outside the apps...
Kinda like we used to with ODBC DSNs.

For now, web.config will have to do...

Thanks for the feedback.

Jerry

Marina

Sorry, why does it mean changing code? If you store the connection
information (encrypted or not) in the configuration file, then it wouldn't
require any changes. You may need to write a utility to quickly encrypt a
value and store it in the file, so you don't have to do it yourself if you
want to go the encrypted route.

Jerry Camel

Only because we have to move the code, including the web.config to the
production server. So techinically we've edited the application files
between development and production. The powers that be view that as
changing the code.