Improving Jmeter - Implemeting Virtual IPs

replayit

Hello Java programmers,

It will be nice to have in Jmeter (open source test software writen in
Java) emulation of User speed connection. However to do this task in
Java can be not practical and easy.

Another approach to this problem can be to add support for virtual IP
addreses in clients (per thread ???). Most testing is done in
laboratory conditions and block like 192.168.x.x or 10.x.x.x can
be easily used.

Implemeting Virual IPs are not OS dependent (Works OK in Un*x and all
MS Windows)

Java have on java.net.Socket parameter for it:

public Socket(InetAddress address, int port, InetAddress
localAddress, int localPort) throws IOException

Its also part of org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpConnection

as

setLocalAddress(InetAddress localAddress)

Set the local address used when creating the connection.

For getting valid virtual IP addreses module for reading User
parameter from file can by modified.

Using virual IP addesses give to tester posilibty to use Linux
kernel based shaping utilites to emulate client bandwidth.

I can test this feaure with tpcdump and ethereal if jmeter team
will impement it. I can also write small howto use it, including
configuring Virtual IPs for various OS, if somebody
will check my english in it :)

Ethereal - The world's most popular network protocol analyzer
Ing Rudolf Kutina
Practical tester
Prague