Information exchange between unrelated processes

pk

Hi!

The Task: There are different unrelated processes which have to
communicate informations. They must be able to read, write and delete
these informations from/to a central entity and it must be guaranteed,
that, while one process is writing, no other one can do the same.

For the moment, this is realized with a file and a locked acces to it.
This works fine, but I guess it is rather slow and uses quite a lot of
resources. So I thought of using shared memory, but in the System V
IPC Section of the Camel-Book I find some arguments against it.

So what would we an apropriate technique?

Thanks: Peter

Anno Siegel

pk said:
Hi!

The Task: There are different unrelated processes which have to
communicate informations. They must be able to read, write and delete
these informations from/to a central entity and it must be guaranteed,
that, while one process is writing, no other one can do the same.

For the moment, this is realized with a file and a locked acces to it.
This works fine, but I guess it is rather slow and uses quite a lot of
resources. So I thought of using shared memory, but in the System V
IPC Section of the Camel-Book I find some arguments against it.

So what would we an apropriate technique?

That is discussed in perlipc. Did you read that?

Anno