initialization from incompatible pointer type

Brian Stubblefield

Dear clc members,

I am rather new to the C programming language.

I have a rather large program that I am currently debugging.

Currently, the following snippet of code in the c program:

char skillkey[96][1];
char (*fillkey_ptr)[96]= skillkey;

results in a "warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type"
message during the compile.

What can I do to solve this issue?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

Brian

Karthik

Brian said:
Dear clc members,

I am rather new to the C programming language.

I have a rather large program that I am currently debugging.

Currently, the following snippet of code in the c program:

char skillkey[96][1];
char (*fillkey_ptr)[96]= skillkey;

results in a "warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type"
message during the compile.
What can I do to solve this issue?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

Brian

On most linux systems, you have something called a 'cdecl' utility.
That could be a real boon to know what the declarations really mean, at
least to begin with.

$ cdecl

cdecl> explain char skillkey[96][1]
declare skillkey as array 96 of array 1 of char

cdecl> explain char (*fillkey_ptr)[96]
declare fillkey_ptr as pointer to array 96 of char

So essentially you are trying to assign two totally unrelated quantities.

#include <stdlib.h>

int main() {
char skillkey[96];
char (*fillkey_ptr)[96];
fillkey_ptr = &skillkey;
return EXIT_SUCCESS;
}

This code compiles perfectly fine.

But you need to ask yourself the objective of the declaration and its
usage.

HTH

Eric Sosman

Brian said:
Dear clc members,

I am rather new to the C programming language.

I have a rather large program that I am currently debugging.

Currently, the following snippet of code in the c program:

char skillkey[96][1];
char (*fillkey_ptr)[96]= skillkey;

results in a "warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type"
message during the compile.

What can I do to solve this issue?

First, read Section 6 of the comp.lang.c Frequently
Asked Questions list

to make sure you understand the differences between
pointers and arrays. Second, study the rest of the
program to try to divine the author's incorrectly-
expressed intent. Third, try to write a correct
expression of that intent; this may well require
changes outside the two lines you've shown.

Do *not* try to "solve" the problem by adding
a cast operator. That's like "fixing" your car's
oil pressure warning light by putting tape over it.

Brian Stubblefield

Thank you both for the suggestions. I am glad that I was told both
where to look to find out more about pointers and arrays as well as a
code solution.