Initializing a malloc'ed struct whose fields are const with run-timevalues

Noob

Hello,

Is it possible, in standard C89 and C99, to initialize a
struct whose fields are const with values only known at
run-time?

For example, consider:

struct toto { const int i; const float f; const void *p; };

Is it possible to portably implement:

struct toto *foo(int i, float f, void *p);

which allocates space for a "struct toto", initializes it
with i, f, p and returns the address of this struct?

The best I could come up with is:

#include <stdlib.h>
#include <string.h>
struct toto *foo(int i, float f, void *p)
{
struct toto s = { i, f, p };
struct toto *res = malloc(sizeof *res);
if (res != NULL) memcpy(res, &s, sizeof s);
return res;
}

which has several defects:

1) Apparently, C89 does not allow one to use elements "not computable
at load time" in an initialization list. However, it is allowed both
in C99 (right?) and in gnu89.

2) I'm not sure it is well-defined to memcpy stuff into some const
fields. Does it tickle the cranky UB gods?

Regards.

Shao Miller

Hello,

Is it possible, in standard C89 and C99, to initialize a
struct whose fields are const with values only known at
run-time?

For example, consider:

struct toto { const int i; const float f; const void *p; };

There is probably a better example, since none of the members here are
non-'const'. You could just have these members non-'const'-qualified
and return a 'const struct toto *', possibly with a cast. I'll assume
you have at least one non-'const' member for further discussion.
Is it possible to portably implement:

struct toto *foo(int i, float f, void *p);

which allocates space for a "struct toto", initializes it
with i, f, p and returns the address of this struct?

The best I could come up with is:

#include <stdlib.h>
#include <string.h>
struct toto *foo(int i, float f, void *p)
{
struct toto s = { i, f, p };
struct toto *res = malloc(sizeof *res);
if (res != NULL) memcpy(res, &s, sizeof s);
return res;
}

How about:

#include <stddef.h>
#include <stdlib.h>

struct toto {
const int i;
const float f;
const void * p;
};

struct toto * foo(int i, float f, void * p) {
unsigned char * obj;

obj = malloc(sizeof (struct toto));
if (obj) {
*(int *) (obj + offsetof(struct toto, i)) = i;
*(float *) (obj + offsetof(struct toto, f)) = f;
*(void **) (obj + offsetof(struct toto, i)) = p;
}
return (void *) obj;
}

int main(void) {
struct toto * test = foo(42, 3.14, NULL);
free(test);
return 0;
}
which has several defects:

1) Apparently, C89 does not allow one to use elements "not computable
at load time" in an initialization list. However, it is allowed both
in C99 (right?) and in gnu89.

The initializers in an initializer list for an aggregate or union must
be constant expressions, and no, I do not believe that's changed in any
newer Standard.
2) I'm not sure it is well-defined to memcpy stuff into some const
fields.

You can 'memcpy' into allocated storage just fine. In C >= C99, you
need to be concerned with effective type, so it's not completely
straight-forward.
Does it tickle the cranky UB gods?

This is one of the funnier things I've read in comp.lang.c! :)

Ike Naar

#include <stdlib.h>
#include <string.h>
struct toto *foo(int i, float f, void *p)
{
struct toto s = { i, f, p };
struct toto *res = malloc(sizeof *res);
if (res != NULL) memcpy(res, &s, sizeof s);

Why memcpy instead of an assignment?
if (res != NULL) *res = s;
return res;
}

And how about returning by value?

struct toto foo(int i, float f, void *p)
{
struct toto res = {i, f, p};
return res;

Shao Miller

Why memcpy instead of an assignment?
if (res != NULL) *res = s;

Because they amount to the same thing, behind the scenes, on a few
implementations? ;) Lots of people still do:

struct tag s;
memset(&s, 0, sizeof s);

instead of:

struct tag s = { 0 };

But the latter seems better (when possible).
And how about returning by value?

struct toto foo(int i, float f, void *p)
{
struct toto res = {i, f, p};
return res;
}

This has the same problem with the initializer list, though.

I would guess that 'malloc' was being used for lifetime considerations,
but obviously only Noob knows.

Ian Collins

Ike said:
Why memcpy instead of an assignment?
if (res != NULL) *res = s;

And how about returning by value?

struct toto foo(int i, float f, void *p)
{
struct toto res = {i, f, p};
return res;
}

Is that legal? struct toto has const members, so can it be returned by
value from a function?

Noob

Shao said:
Because they amount to the same thing, behind the scenes, on a few
implementations? ;) Lots of people still do:

struct tag s;
memset(&s, 0, sizeof s);

instead of:

struct tag s = { 0 };

But the latter seems better (when possible).

This has the same problem with the initializer list, though.

I would guess that 'malloc' was being used for lifetime considerations,
but obviously only Noob knows.

As I often do, my simplification went a bit too far, so I'll just
describe the actual use-case.
(This involves two threads on a POSIX-compliant platform.)

I have a foo_start function which malloc's space for a "context"
struct, populates the struct according to the function's parameters,
then spawns a new thread which is passed this context. (This is why
dynamic allocation must be used.)

To make matters more complex, I have a flexible array at the end of
the struct.

Basically, struct ctx is defined this way:

struct ctx {
int file_idx;
const char *buf;
sem_t sem;
char path[];
};

void *foo_run(void *arg) {
struct ctx *ctx = arg;
do stuff in an infinite loop, according to ctx
}

void foo_start(int param1, int param2, ...)
{
struct ctx *ctx = malloc(sizeof *ctx + paramx);
populate the fields of ctx;
spawn(foo_run, ctx);
}

In my current version, I don't have any const qualifiers in my code.
I like to look at the assembly code generated by the compiler, and I
noticed that every time I need some field from ctx, the compiler has
to reload it, instead of caching the value in a register.

As far as I understand, this is expected: the address of the struct
could be stored anywhere, and any function in a different translation
unit could "pull the rug" from under me. Except that *I* wrote the
code, and I *know* (by design) that most fields in the struct do NOT
change after init.

So I set out to sprinkle a few "const" qualifiers here and there, to
see if that would convince the compiler that some optimizations are
indeed possible (I know this looks like a clear case of premature
optimization, but I figured I might as well learn something new along
the way!)

I don't think I can just const-qualify the entire struct, because
1) the prototype for a thread's entry point is imposed by POSIX
2) const-qualifying a pointer parameter is only a contract between
the user and the function's implementer, saying "my function won't
touch your preciousss struct", it doesn't say that the struct won't
be changed by something else.

Whereas, I was under the impression that a const-qualified field
means "hear, hear, this field SHALL NEVER change!"

Anyway, I'd be happy to hear the word from the regs, and/or take
this to comp.unix.programmer at some point (although I do believe
that the core of my question is a C question, not POSIX).

Regards.

Ben Bacarisse

Ike Naar said:
Why memcpy instead of an assignment?
if (res != NULL) *res = s;

Because it'll provoke an error! The struct's members are const so the
assignment is a constraint violation.
And how about returning by value?

struct toto foo(int i, float f, void *p)
{
struct toto res = {i, f, p};
return res;
}

This limits what you can do with it for the same reason. You can't
assign a strust toto because of its const members.

Ben Bacarisse

Shao Miller said:
Because they amount to the same thing, behind the scenes, on a few
implementations? ;)

But in front of the scenes, they are very different! The assignment is
a constraint violation.

<snip>

Noob

Ike said:
Why memcpy instead of an assignment?
if (res != NULL) *res = s;

Right... I'll have to try that, and see what gcc thinks.
And how about returning by value?

struct toto foo(int i, float f, void *p)
{
struct toto res = {i, f, p};
return res;
}

This won't work for me, I have to manage the struct's
lifetime by hand, using dynamic allocation. (See my reply
to Shao for a complete description.)

Regards.

Shao Miller

Because it'll provoke an error! The struct's members are const so the
assignment is a constraint violation.

This limits what you can do with it for the same reason. You can't
assign a strust toto because of its const members.

Are you sure about that? 'res' undergoes lvalue conversion and no
longer has qualified type.

Ben Bacarisse

Noob said:
[...]

Yes, it's fine in C99 and later. I'm not sure about gnu89 but I would
not be surprised.

BTW, in C99 you don't even need a declaration:

if (res != NULL) memcpy(res, &(struct toto){i, f, p}, sizeof *res);
2) I'm not sure it is well-defined to memcpy stuff into some const
fields. Does it tickle the cranky UB gods?

No, I think it's fine. You are not modifying anything that is const.
malloced storage has no declared type and the memcpy probably makes the
effective type a byte array.

Shao Miller

But in front of the scenes, they are very different! The assignment is
a constraint violation.

<snip>

Yes, that's quite true. I was teasing about a bad reason for doing it,
not pointing out a good reason for doing it. :)

glen herrmannsfeldt

(snip)
As I often do, my simplification went a bit too far, so I'll just
describe the actual use-case.
(This involves two threads on a POSIX-compliant platform.)

As far as I know, the constraints on const aren't quite as strict
as Java's static final, or Fortran's PARAMETER.

You can get away with some things that you probably shouldn't be
able to, as the compiler can't check them.
I have a foo_start function which malloc's space for a "context"
struct, populates the struct according to the function's parameters,
then spawns a new thread which is passed this context. (This is why
dynamic allocation must be used.)
To make matters more complex, I have a flexible array at the end of
the struct.
(snip)

In my current version, I don't have any const qualifiers in my code.
I like to look at the assembly code generated by the compiler, and I
noticed that every time I need some field from ctx, the compiler has
to reload it, instead of caching the value in a register.

Have you tried with an actual const struct (with actual compile time
constants) to see what the optimizer does? Or passing such a struct
(or pointer to one) and see what it does?
As far as I understand, this is expected: the address of the struct
could be stored anywhere, and any function in a different translation
unit could "pull the rug" from under me. Except that *I* wrote the
code, and I *know* (by design) that most fields in the struct do NOT
change after init.

Well, as described in another thread, there is the 'volatile'
attribute to tell the compiler, in some sense which I won't
describe here, that a variable could change.

On the other hand, normal aliasing rules apply. Often the compiler
can't assume that two pointers don't point to the same (or nearby)
variables, and so can't do some optimizations that it might otherwise
do.
So I set out to sprinkle a few "const" qualifiers here and there, to
see if that would convince the compiler that some optimizations are
indeed possible (I know this looks like a clear case of premature
optimization, but I figured I might as well learn something new along
the way!)

Did it help any? Does it change with optimization (-O) level?
I don't think I can just const-qualify the entire struct, because
1) the prototype for a thread's entry point is imposed by POSIX
2) const-qualifying a pointer parameter is only a contract between
the user and the function's implementer, saying "my function won't
touch your preciousss struct", it doesn't say that the struct won't
be changed by something else.
Whereas, I was under the impression that a const-qualified field
means "hear, hear, this field SHALL NEVER change!"
Anyway, I'd be happy to hear the word from the regs, and/or take
this to comp.unix.programmer at some point (although I do believe
that the core of my question is a C question, not POSIX).

-- glen

Shao Miller

Yes, it's fine in C99 and later. I'm not sure about gnu89 but I would
not be surprised.

Oops. To Noob: Sorry about providing the wrong answer for this one,
earlier. I hope the rest of that post helped.
BTW, in C99 you don't even need a declaration:

if (res != NULL) memcpy(res, &(struct toto){i, f, p}, sizeof *res);

No, I think it's fine. You are not modifying anything that is const.
malloced storage has no declared type and the memcpy probably makes the
effective type a byte array.

To Ben: I think the effective type would be 'struct toto', as 'memcpy'
is included in 6.5p6.

Ben Bacarisse

Shao Miller said:
On 1/22/2013 10:36, Noob wrote:

The initializers in an initializer list for an aggregate or union must
be constant expressions, and no, I do not believe that's changed in
any newer Standard.

I think it has.

James Kuyper

What about foo().f? Does the simple return constitute modification of a
const-qualified lvalue?

I'm still not convinced that "modifying" a const-qualified member through
assignment of a non-const-qualified aggregate is undefined behaviour. But I
don't know enough about the rules of lvalues to prove it.

A struct containing a member that is const-qualified is not modifiable
(6.3.2.1p1). It is a constraint violation for an assignment operator to
have a left operand which is not a modifiable lvalue (6.5.16p2).
Arguments passed to a function (6.5.2.2p7), and values returned by a
function (6.8.6.4p3), are both converted "as if by assignment", and I
believe are therefore subject to the same constraints.

James Kuyper

I think it has.

You think correctly - as of C99, that restriction only applies to
initializers for objects of static storage duration. As of C2011, it
also applies to initializers for objects with thread storage duration
(6.7.9p4); only C90 imposed it on initializers for objects with
automatic storage duration.

Nick Bowler

BTW, in C99 you don't even need a declaration:

if (res != NULL) memcpy(res, &(struct toto){i, f, p}, sizeof *res);

Danger, Will Robinson!

Implementations are allowed to define a function-like macro called
memcpy, and the above line will not work on implementations that do so.
Macro rguments will be split on the commas in the compound literal,
which is almost certainly not desirable.

Therefore, it is neccesary to add parentheses (or to #undef memcpy...),
either around the compound literal to avoid such splitting, or around
memcpy to avoid any macro substitution at all. For example:

if (res != NULL) memcpy(res, (&(struct toto){i, f, p}), sizeof *res);
if (res != NULL) (memcpy)(res, &(struct toto){i, f, p}, sizeof *res);

are both OK.

Cheers,
Nick

Ian Collins

William said:
Ok, now I am:

C99 (N1256) 6.3.2.1

A modifiable lvalue is an lvalue that does not have array type, does
not have an incomplete type, does not have a const-qualified type,
and if it is a structure or union, does not have any member
(including, recursively, any member or element of all contained
aggregates or unions) with a const-qualified type.

But foo().f should still be fine, I think.

So res above isn't a modifiable lvalue.

I just tried this code:

#include <stdio.h>

struct toto { const int i; const float f; const void *p; };

struct toto foo(int i, float f, void *p)
{
return (struct toto){i, f, p};
}

int main(void)
{
float f = foo( 1,2,NULL).f;
}

and gcc (-Wall -std=c99 -pedantic) compiles it, but Sun c99 (which tends
to be both strict and conforming) rejects it with one error:

"x.c", line 7: left operand must be modifiable lvalue: op "="

where line 7 is the function return.

Shao Miller

So res above isn't a modifiable lvalue.

I just tried this code:

#include <stdio.h>

struct toto { const int i; const float f; const void *p; };

struct toto foo(int i, float f, void *p)
{
return (struct toto){i, f, p};
}

int main(void)
{
float f = foo( 1,2,NULL).f;
}

and gcc (-Wall -std=c99 -pedantic) compiles it, but Sun c99 (which tends
to be both strict and conforming) rejects it with one error:

"x.c", line 7: left operand must be modifiable lvalue: op "="

where line 7 is the function return.

That seems a bit odd. 'return' has little to do with an lvalue or object:

"The properties associated with qualified types are meaningful only
for expressions that are lvalues.132)"

So "as if by assignment" should be satisfied by:

"the left operand has an atomic, qualified, or unqualified version of
a structure or union type compatible with the type of the right;"

No?