inspect.getmodulename giving unexpected results

Geoff Bache

Hi all,

I'm trying to examine some things in my stack. The information I get
out of inspect.stack() gives file names and I would like to convert
them to module names. I naturally assumes inspect.getmodulename would
fix this for me.

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to do that in some cases. Consider the
following code:

## file 'inspect_test'

#!/usr/bin/env python

import logging, inspect

print inspect.getmodulename(logging.__file__),
inspect.getmodulename(__file__)

I hoped that this would print
logging __main__

or at least
logging inspect_test

but instead it prints
__init__ None

which isn't very helpful, although it could technically be considered
correct (I can go to the 'logging' directory and type "import
__init__" but nobody ever does)

I guess I was hoping to get the names of the modules as they appear in
sys.modules. Maybe there is some other way to do that? I can naturally
write my own method to do this but wondered if I'm missing something
here.

Regards,
Geoff Bache

Thomas Jollans

Hi all,

I'm trying to examine some things in my stack. The information I get
out of inspect.stack() gives file names and I would like to convert
them to module names. I naturally assumes inspect.getmodulename would
fix this for me.

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to do that in some cases. Consider the
following code:

It does behave as documented: it does not find package names, or investigate
sys.modules
## file 'inspect_test'

rename this file to "inspect_test.py", and the filename will make sense to
inspect.getmodulename, which should *then* return "inspect_test" instead of
None.
#!/usr/bin/env python

import logging, inspect

print inspect.getmodulename(logging.__file__),
inspect.getmodulename(__file__)

I hoped that this would print
logging __main__

or at least
logging inspect_test

but instead it prints
__init__ None

which isn't very helpful, although it could technically be considered
correct (I can go to the 'logging' directory and type "import
__init__" but nobody ever does)

I guess I was hoping to get the names of the modules as they appear in
sys.modules. Maybe there is some other way to do that? I can naturally
write my own method to do this but wondered if I'm missing something
here.

Not that I know of.

Geoff Bache

It does behave as documented: it does not find package names, or investigate
sys.modules

Possibly, although for me "logging" is exposed as a module, and ought
to behave as one when requesting the module name. The fact that it's a
package internally doesn't seem relevant to me in this context. It's
weird to me that when I do

import os, logging

treating these things as normal modules I can get the right name for
"os" but get "__init__" when requesting "logging". Externally, these
things appear to be the same. I can accept from the docs that if I did
"getmodulename" on "logging.config" I would get "config" back.
rename this file to "inspect_test.py", and the filename will make sense to
inspect.getmodulename, which should *then* return "inspect_test" instead of
None.

I realise that, but of course I can't do that in the real code. It's a
long-established convention to drop the ".py" from executable programs
on UNIX.

Regards,
Geoff

Thomas Jollans

Possibly, although for me "logging" is exposed as a module, and ought
to behave as one when requesting the module name. The fact that it's a
package internally doesn't seem relevant to me in this context. It's
weird to me that when I do

import os, logging

treating these things as normal modules I can get the right name for
"os" but get "__init__" when requesting "logging". Externally, these
things appear to be the same. I can accept from the docs that if I did
"getmodulename" on "logging.config" I would get "config" back.

I realise that, but of course I can't do that in the real code. It's a
long-established convention to drop the ".py" from executable programs
on UNIX.

Then again, it's a classic trick to put your Python code in ../site-packages/
(or the like) and just put a tiny stub script in bin/ for projects of the same
kind of dimensions where anybody would care about the executable having a file
extension or not ;-)