Installation of a perl module

mistletoe

Command : ppm install DBI.ppd

Error: No valid repositories: Error: 500 Can't connect to
ppm.ActiveState.com:80 (connect: Unknown error) at C:/Program
Files/Perl/site/lib/PPM/Repository.pm line 84 Error: 500 Can't connect
to ppm.ActiveState.com:80 (connect: Unknown error) at C:/Program
Files/Perl/site/lib/PPM/Repository.pm line 84

Line 84: "my $soap_result = $client->ppm_protocol;"

How do I correct this error?

James Willmore

On 12 Nov 2003 02:35:43 -0800
Command : ppm install DBI.ppd

Error: No valid repositories: Error: 500 Can't connect to
ppm.ActiveState.com:80 (connect: Unknown error) at C:/Program
Files/Perl/site/lib/PPM/Repository.pm line 84 Error: 500 Can't
connect to ppm.ActiveState.com:80 (connect: Unknown error) at
C:/Program Files/Perl/site/lib/PPM/Repository.pm line 84

Line 84: "my $soap_result = $client->ppm_protocol;"

How do I correct this error?

Check the ActiveState support site. That's where I'd check.

--
Jim

for more information.

a fortune quote ...
"I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but
<they've always worked for me." -- Hunter S. Thompson

Jim Mozley

mistletoe said:
Command : ppm install DBI.ppd

Error: No valid repositories: Error: 500 Can't connect to
ppm.ActiveState.com:80 (connect: Unknown error) at C:/Program
Files/Perl/site/lib/PPM/Repository.pm line 84 Error: 500 Can't connect
to ppm.ActiveState.com:80 (connect: Unknown error) at C:/Program
Files/Perl/site/lib/PPM/Repository.pm line 84

Line 84: "my $soap_result = $client->ppm_protocol;"

How do I correct this error?

Is the issue one of connectivity to the activestate pp site, form the
error above it seems to indicate you cannot connect to it. Is there a
firewall or similar preventing you from reaching it?

Jim

mistletoe

I am able to connect to the ppm.activestate.com website.

I was able to download the perl modules that i required individually.
However after unzipping and unpacking them I don't know which files
and which folders to put into the lib folder.

Ranjith.

James Willmore

On 13 Nov 2003 03:43:04 -0800
I am able to connect to the ppm.activestate.com website.

I was able to download the perl modules that i required
individually. However after unzipping and unpacking them I don't
know which files and which folders to put into the lib folder.

Ranjith.

That wasn't the point of my post. The point was you stated you got
an error while using PPM. And *maybe* you should consult the
ActiveState Knowledgebase to see what you could do to correct the
problem.

PPM is not pure Perl - using CPAN is. PPM is something ActiveState
put together - so you don't have to compile the module yourself.

This all, of course, is just my take on it :)

To answer directly where to put the files - again, you should go to
ActiveState's web site and see what's posted there - since they put
the whole distribution together. I have a guess, but it's only a
guess. I normally compile the modules or can use PPM through our
firewall at work. So, I have little experience with your issue.

OTOH, does the documentation that came with the ActiveState install
(specifically, PPM) address this situation? I think ActiveState
already thought this situation might arise.

--
Jim

for more information.

a fortune quote ...
"Die? I should say not, dear fellow. No Barrymore would allow
such a conventional thing to happen to him." -- John
Barrymore's dying words

Helgi Briem

I am able to connect to the ppm.activestate.com website.

You probably need to set your proxy server, as detailed
in the Activeperl documentation:
file:///C:/Perl/html/faq/ActivePerl-faq2.html#ppm_and_proxies
I was able to download the perl modules that i required individually.
However after unzipping and unpacking them I don't know which files
and which folders to put into the lib folder.

Don't do that. It won't work except by accident.