Active Perl Package Installation

razmaspaz

I'm using active perl 5.8.8 on WinXP. I am trying to install the
Crypt::SSLeay package using the command:
ppm install http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/ppms/Crypt-SSLeay.ppd

I get the following error:
Error: No valid repositories: Error: 500 Can't connect to
ppm.ActiveState.com:80 (connect: Unknown error)

I can ping theoryx5 and I can get the url to appear in the browser. Am
I missing something?

It seems like the ppm is trying to get to ActiveState. Am I supposed
to send some argument to the install cmd to get it to look elsewhere?

Thanks,
Michael

John Bokma

I'm using active perl 5.8.8 on WinXP. I am trying to install the
Crypt::SSLeay package using the command:
ppm install http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/ppms/Crypt-SSLeay.ppd

I get the following error:
Error: No valid repositories: Error: 500 Can't connect to
ppm.ActiveState.com:80 (connect: Unknown error)

I can ping theoryx5 and I can get the url to appear in the browser. Am
I missing something?

It seems like the ppm is trying to get to ActiveState. Am I supposed
to send some argument to the install cmd to get it to look elsewhere?

Odd that ppm tries to connect to ActiveState. But ActiveState has now and
then problems with the repository, so I would suggest to try again a bit
later.

But its odd that it connects anyway. Some might say: spyware :-D.

razmaspaz

If I grab the tarball can I just install it from a local source or do I
have to get it from the URL?

Michael

Ben Morrow

[top-quoteing fixed. Please don't do that]

Quoth (e-mail address removed):
If I grab the tarball can I just install it from a local source or do I
have to get it from the URL?

If you get both the tarball and the ppd you should be able to install
them from the local disk. You may need to edit the paths in the ppd: the
format is pretty obvious. However, since ppm is trying to connect to
ActiveState when it doesn't need to, it may continue to do so... if you
can't fix your connection issues, you could try removing
ppm.activestate.com from your repository list, at least temporarily. I
can't remember how this is done (no Win32 machine to hand) but the docs
are pretty clear.

Ben

Bart Lateur

I get the following error:
Error: No valid repositories: Error: 500 Can't connect to
ppm.ActiveState.com:80 (connect: Unknown error)

I can ping theoryx5 and I can get the url to appear in the browser. Am
I missing something?

The fact that that repositiory probably isn't in your list of
repositories? Activestate and theoryx5 are different repositories.

Use "rep add" in the PPM shell to add it. Something like

rep add theoryx5 http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/ppms/

razmaspaz

Thank you all for the help to this point. The problem was threefold.
First I did not have the theoryx5 in my repository list. Second I did
not have the proxy configured for ppm.

Third, and this is still a problem, I get this error message:

Error: Failed to download URL http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/ppms/Crypt-
SSLeay.ppd: 501 Protocol scheme '' is not supported

I looked at the file that comes down, and I don't know what the scheme
is. Any thoughts on what this might be?

Thanks,
Michael

razmaspaz

For anyone who cares, the problem was that I did not have the http://
at the beginning of my proxy address. This prevented ppm from knowing
how to connect to my proxy server