Installed MacPython 10.3 Addons - Can't find Modules, even standard ones.

Lou Pecora

I upgraded to Panther a month ago and just upgraded to MacPython 10.3
Addons (as per Jack Jansen's page - thanks, Jack).

But now my programs can't even find standard modules. from Numeric
import * brings up the error window: Can't find module Numeric. Even
trig functions sine and cosine generate the same type of error. I've
looked over the FAQ and can't see any answers (maybe I missed
something). I'm guessing this is a Path problem, but I'm stumped. I
have PYTHONPATH set to some of my modules (which seems to work), but not
sure what to do about standard stuff.

Any clues appreciated. Thanks.

-- Lou Pecora (my views are my own)

P.S. I posted this on Python-Mac-SIG email list, too. Sorry if you are seeing it again.

Serge Rey

I upgraded to Panther a month ago and just upgraded to MacPython 10.3
Addons (as per Jack Jansen's page - thanks, Jack).

But now my programs can't even find standard modules. from Numeric
import * brings up the error window: Can't find module Numeric. Even
trig functions sine and cosine generate the same type of error. I've
looked over the FAQ and can't see any answers (maybe I missed
something). I'm guessing this is a Path problem, but I'm stumped. I
have PYTHONPATH set to some of my modules (which seems to work), but not
sure what to do about standard stuff.

did you install Numeric via the PackageManager in MacPython?

--
Serge Rey http://geography.sdsu.edu/rey.html
Clue: angst and pretentiousness are boring.

Maurice LING

Lou said:
I upgraded to Panther a month ago and just upgraded to MacPython 10.3
Addons (as per Jack Jansen's page - thanks, Jack).

But now my programs can't even find standard modules. from Numeric
import * brings up the error window: Can't find module Numeric. Even
trig functions sine and cosine generate the same type of error. I've
looked over the FAQ and can't see any answers (maybe I missed
something). I'm guessing this is a Path problem, but I'm stumped. I
have PYTHONPATH set to some of my modules (which seems to work), but not
sure what to do about standard stuff.

Any clues appreciated. Thanks.

-- Lou Pecora (my views are my own)

P.S. I posted this on Python-Mac-SIG email list, too. Sorry if you are seeing it again.

Did you ever install Python through Fink or had used Fink before?

Try to do
import sys
sys.path()
and see where it points to?

My suspicion is that there are more than one pythons in your system now...

Cheers
maurice

Lou Pecora

Serge Rey said:
did you install Numeric via the PackageManager in MacPython?

Yes, did that. I think the older MacPythons automatically had Numeric,
but not so now. Thanks. That's working, but trig functions still seem
to be unknown to Python. Can't understand that.

Maurice LING said:
Did you ever install Python through Fink or had used Fink before?

Try to do
import sys
sys.path()
and see where it points to?

My suspicion is that there are more than one pythons in your system now...

Cheers
maurice

Ah...Good idea. Will give that a go. I did not install any Fink stuff
ever. Only thing I had was the old Python 2.2 for Jaguar from 2003.
That seemed to be deleted automatically when I installed the 2.3 addons.

-- Lou Pecora (my views are my own)