installer problems on Vista

patrick

Is there a way to determine from within a java application running on
Windows Vista what type of account the user is logged on as. i.e. standard
or administrator?

TIA

Andrew Thompson

patrick said:
Is there a way to determine from within a java application running on
Windows Vista what type of account the user is logged on as. i.e. standard
or administrator?

JOptionPane.showMessagedialog(
null,
"logged on as admin?",
JOptionPane.QUESTION_MESSAGE);

A more interesting question is.. what are you intending to
offer the end-user, that requires this feature?

--
Andrew Thompson
http://www.physci.org/

patrick

I want to advise the user to log in as administrator so that my updater
works.
I cannot get the updater (a downloaded install.exe file) to install to
the Program Files install folder from a standard Vista account.
But all works fine from admin account.Ive tried Vista execution levels of
"as invoker","highest available","require administrator" from standard
account
but it pops up a dialog saying it cannot write for each file to be
updated.(Maybe its because it doesnt want to overwrite these files.dunno.)
Putting up an option pane question is possible ok, but not nice.People might
not even know their account type.

Andrew Thompson

patrick wrote:

Please refrain from top-posting. I find it very confusing.
I want to advise the user to log in as administrator so that my updater
works.

Well put. That clarifies much.
I cannot get the updater (a downloaded install.exe file) to install to
the Program Files install folder from a standard Vista account.
But all works fine from admin account.Ive tried Vista execution levels of
"as invoker","highest available","require administrator" from standard
account
but it pops up a dialog saying it cannot write for each file to be
updated.(Maybe its because it doesnt want to overwrite these files.dunno.)

When you say 'it' do you mean the OS or the installer
software? What installer are you using? I am only (a
little) familiar with NSIS.

Doesn't the *installer* offer some way to check if the
operations will be allowed, and if not, pop a dialog to
warn the user (to log in as administrator)?
Putting up an option pane question is possible ok, but not nice.People might
not even know their account type.

That is true, best find some way to test it programmatically,
and only ever bother the user with 'account types' if it fails.

--
Andrew Thompson
http://www.physci.org/

patrick

When you say 'it' do you mean the OS or the installer
software? What installer are you using? I am only (a
little) familiar with NSIS.

Using Install4j. think it is install4j pops up the dialog boxes.