Installing Tk

Jesse Jurman

Hello ruby forums,

Cutting straight to the case,
I just recently bought a new mac computer, and I am having trouble
getting ruby to work with Tk.
I had extraneous trouble getting Tk to work on my old computer, but my
new one seems to have no version of Tk on it at all. Whereas before I
had some version of Tk installed (while outdated it still worked very
well) now I have none, which seems odd as all the tutorials I have
viewed refer to some version of tk pre-existing!

$ irb
require 'tk'
LoadError: no such file to load -- tk
from (irb):1:in `require'
from (irb):1
from :0

My version of ruby is:
$ ruby -v
ruby 1.8.7 (2010-01-10 patchlevel 249) [x86_64-darwin10]

I am not very good at binding or compiling or making applications on
terminal, but I do consider myself somewhat good at using the terminal.

I need ruby to work with Tk ASAP!!!
Any links, solutions, or code, would be very appreciated!

Hidetoshi NAGAI

From: Jesse Jurman <[email protected]>
Subject: Installing Tk
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2010 10:00:33 +0900
$ ruby -v
ruby 1.8.7 (2010-01-10 patchlevel 249) [x86_64-darwin10]

The ruby binary is compiled for x86_64, but Tcl/Tk frameworks are
compiled for i386 (not for x86_64). Maybe, the inconsistency is the
reason of why no tcltklib is installed.

I think that you need build Tcl/Tk libraries for x86_64 (probably,
have to download latest Tcl/Tk sources from CVS to compile on Mac OS X
10.6) or build ruby binary for i386 with tcltklib.

If you can read Japanese, please read
http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-list/46965

I'm not familiar with Mac OS X. So, I'm sorry if I'm wrong.

Jesse Jurman

From: Jesse Jurman <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2010 10:00:33 +0900
$ ruby -v
ruby 1.8.7 (2010-01-10 patchlevel 249) [x86_64-darwin10]

The ruby binary is compiled for x86_64, but Tcl/Tk frameworks are
compiled for i386 (not for x86_64). Maybe, the inconsistency is the
reason of why no tcltklib is installed.

I think that you need build Tcl/Tk libraries for x86_64 (probably,
have to download latest Tcl/Tk sources from CVS to compile on Mac OS X
10.6) or build ruby binary for i386 with tcltklib.

If you can read Japanese, please read
http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-list/46965

I'm not familiar with Mac OS X. So, I'm sorry if I'm wrong.

That makes some sense... I installed Tcl/Tk through activestate.com...
Does anyone have a specific link to a tutorial for what I need... I
don't want to download a bunch of resource files that I won't be able to
find and delete if they are not the ones I need.

Jesse Jurman

Jesse said:
That makes some sense... I installed Tcl/Tk through activestate.com...
Does anyone have a specific link to a tutorial for what I need... I
don't want to download a bunch of resource files that I won't be able to
find and delete if they are not the ones I need.

Got it to work using a one click installer that included tk
http://rubyosx.rubyforge.org/