interfacing Python interpreter with a VB6 frontend

Anonymous

I am trying something which appears (so far), that many other people
have not yet tried before - since I can't find any useful related
material despite several days of searching various sites/blogs etc.

I want to use VB6 as a front end for building a small GUI console that
accepts python commands at the command line and executes them, returning
any results to the VB6 window.

This requires several steps, but the one I am having most problem
finding info on is the ff:

1. using/interacting the Python interpreter from VB6

Any pointers/demos etc are very welcome - and if this has already been
done, please let me know, so I can learn from what someone else has done

Ryan Ginstrom

On Behalf Of Anonymous
This requires several steps, but the one I am having most
problem finding info on is the ff:

1. using/interacting the Python interpreter from VB6

One way to do this might be by creating a COM server with Python, and having
VB feed it lines of text and then collect results of execution for display.

win32com has demos of COM servers.

Anonymous

Ryan said:
One way to do this might be by creating a COM server with Python, and having
VB feed it lines of text and then collect results of execution for display.

win32com has demos of COM servers.

Hi Ryan, do you have a link to the resources you mentioned?. I did a
search for win32com - and found this :
http://python.net/crew/mhammond/win32/FAQ.html (most of the links were
either dead, or refrerred to using COM from within Python - i.e. the
OTHER way round).

Giles Brown

I am trying something which appears (so far), that many other people
have not yet tried before - since I can't find any useful related
material despite several days of searching various sites/blogs etc.

I want to use VB6 as a front end for building a small GUI console that
accepts python commands at the command line and executes them, returning
any results to the VB6 window.

This requires several steps, but the one I am having most problem
finding info on is the ff:

1. using/interacting the Python interpreter from VB6

Any pointers/demos etc are very welcome - and if this has already been
done, please let me know, so I can learn from what someone else has done

http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/pythonwin32/chapter/ch12.html

Steve Holden

Anonymous said:
Hi Ryan, do you have a link to the resources you mentioned?. I did a
search for win32com - and found this :
http://python.net/crew/mhammond/win32/FAQ.html (most of the links were
either dead, or refrerred to using COM from within Python - i.e. the
OTHER way round).

You might also want to pick up a copy of Hammond and Robinson's
"Programming Win32 in Python", which discusses various ways of
front-ending Python programs with VB interfaces.

regards
Steve
--
Steve Holden +1 571 484 6266 +1 800 494 3119

Sorry, the dog ate my .sigline