Intermittent errors when loading modules in ActivePerl 5.8.0

Louie

I'm getting intermittent strange error messages when I try to load any
module in even a very simple Perl script, such as:

------------------------
#!/usr/local/bin/perl -w

use strict;
use Digest::MD5;
------------------------

The above script will run fine (yes, I know it doesn't do anything)
sometimes and other times generate the following error:

------------------------
Perl v7.1000.0 required (did you mean v7.010?)--this is only v5.8.0,
stopped at /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.0/AutoLoader.pm line 3.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at
/usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.0/AutoLoader.pm line 3.
Compilation failed in require at
/usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.0/sun4-solaris-thread-multi/DynaLoader.pm
line 22.
Compilation failed in require at
/usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.0/sun4-solaris-thread-multi/Digest/MD5.pm
line 12.
Compilation failed in require at ./test.pl line 4.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at ./test.pl line 4.
------------------------

There's nothing but <I>use 5.006_001;</I> (no quotes) on line 3 of
AutoLoader.pm, and the other modules just call each other
(MD5->DynaLoader->AutoLoader), so I'm not sure what I'm chasing but I
believe I am getting a useless error message at this point. This same
Perl installation (sparc-platform, Solaris 8, Sun V880) is running
fine on other servers. Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I'm
no UNIX master by any stretch of the imagination.

For what it's worth, here's the output of <I>perl -V</I>:

------------------------
Summary of my perl5 (revision 5.0 version 8 subversion 0)
configuration:
Platform:
osname=solaris, osvers=2.8, archname=sun4-solaris-thread-multi
uname='sunos aus0010tldev14.ausc.irs.gov 5.8 generic_108528-13
sun4u sparc sunw,ultra-5_10 '
config_args='-Dcc=gcc -B/usr/ccs/bin'
usethreads=define use5005threads=undef useithreads=define
usemultiplicity=define
useperlio=define d_sfio=undef uselargefiles=define usesocks=undef
use64bitint=undef use64bitall=undef uselongdouble=undef
usemymalloc=y, bincompat5005=undef
Compiler:
cc='gcc -B/usr/ccs/bin', ccflags ='-D_REENTRANT
-fno-strict-aliasing -I/usr/local/include -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE
-D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64',
optimize='-O',
cppflags='-D_REENTRANT -fno-strict-aliasing -I/usr/local/include'
ccversion='', gccversion='2.95.3 20010315 (release)',
gccosandvers='solaris2.8'
intsize=4, longsize=4, ptrsize=4, doublesize=8, byteorder=4321
d_longlong=define, longlongsize=8, d_longdbl=define,
longdblsize=16
ivtype='long', ivsize=4, nvtype='double', nvsize=8, Off_t='off_t',
lseeksize=8
alignbytes=8, prototype=define
Linker and Libraries:
ld='gcc -B/usr/ccs/bin', ldflags =' -L/usr/local/lib '
libpth=/usr/local/lib /usr/lib /usr/ccs/lib
libs=-lsocket -lnsl -ldl -lm -lrt -lpthread -lc
perllibs=-lsocket -lnsl -ldl -lm -lrt -lpthread -lc
libc=/lib/libc.so, so=so, useshrplib=true, libperl=libperl.so
gnulibc_version=''
Dynamic Linking:
dlsrc=dl_dlopen.xs, dlext=so, d_dlsymun=undef, ccdlflags=' -R
/usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.0/sun4-solaris-thread-multi/CORE'
cccdlflags='-fPIC', lddlflags='-G -L/usr/local/lib'

Compile-time options: MULTIPLICITY USE_ITHREADS USE_LARGE_FILES
PERL_IMPLICIT_CONTEXT
Built under solaris
Compiled at Mar 11 2003 11:14:31
@INC:
/usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.0/sun4-solaris-thread-multi
/usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.0
/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/sun4-solaris-thread-multi
/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0
/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl

Ben Liddicott

Hi Louie,

Louie said:
I'm getting intermittent strange error messages when I try to load any
module in even a very simple Perl script, such as:

------------------------
#!/usr/local/bin/perl -w

use strict;
use Digest::MD5;

When you say "sometimes" and "other times", are there any other differences other than the time?

In other words, might it be to do with who you are logged in as, working directory, library paths, environment variables and so forth? Might it also be to do with what is currently mounted via NFS?

I suggest you dump the environment to a file when it works, and again on some occasion when it doesn't, and diff the files.

Cheers,
Ben Liddicott

Louie

Ben Liddicott said:
Hi Louie,

When you say "sometimes" and "other times", are there any other
differences other than the time?

In other words, might it be to do with who you are logged in as, working
directory, library paths, environment variables and so forth? Might it
also be to do with what is currently mounted via NFS?

I suggest you dump the environment to a file when it works, and again on
some occasion when it doesn't, and diff the files.

Cheers,
Ben Liddicott

Unfortunately, the "sometimes" and "other times" are within seconds of
each other, with the same environment, user, etc. I can just run the
same script over and over again and it sporadically throws errors.

- Louie