Internationalization Support in 3.5 - What's New?

Robert Cramer

I'm preparing for a major ASP.NET development effort that will require
extensive internationalization support. I have a bunch of resources and I'm
happy with those - with the exception that they cover the 2.0 version of the
..NET Framework.

I would appreciate it if someone could point me to some online resource that
describes "what's new with internationalization" in .NET 3.5.

And yes, I'm clear on the fact that 3.5 is additive to 2.0 and so the 2.0
features are still "current.".

I'm just wanting to ensure that I'm not missing anything new (to the 3.5
bits regarding internationalization) before I finalize my design.

Oh, and google proved unhelplful - or at least I failed to enter whatever
search term(s) would return what I'm specifically looking for.

Thanks.

Jeroen Mostert

Robert said:
I'm preparing for a major ASP.NET development effort that will require
extensive internationalization support. I have a bunch of resources and I'm
happy with those - with the exception that they cover the 2.0 version of the
.NET Framework.

I would appreciate it if someone could point me to some online resource that
describes "what's new with internationalization" in .NET 3.5.
AFAICT, there's nothing new. There's nothing in the MSDN's "what's new" and
the usual suspects aren't blogging about changes to it. There may be "under
the hood" improvements with bugfixes and the like, but nothing that would
warrant a redesign.

There's one notable improvement that falls under internationalization, and
that's the new TimeZoneInfo class, allowing you programmatic access to time
zone definitions and the ability to represent time in any time zone (rather
than just local time and UTC). Very useful.

However, you may want to try microsoft.public.dotnet.internationalization
for a more knowledgeable answer. Yes, it's got its own group! Not exactly
heavily trafficked, but it's there.

Michael Nemtsev [MVP]

Hello Robert,

There is nothing significantly new in this area
Just review the MSDN article about AJAX and internalization http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-au/magazine/cc135974.aspx

and a new CombineScripts feature in AJAX Toolkit preview, http://blogs.msdn.com/delay/archive...x-control-toolkit-s-toolkitscriptmanager.aspx

---
WBR,