Internet Explorer and Netscape Dependent windows

M B HONG 20

Hi all -

I am aware that the window.open method of javascript can open new popup
windows with different properties. I wish to use the 'dependent'
parameter to open a window that does not hide behind its parent window
when its parent window is clicked/brought into focus. I know that the
'dependent' parameter can only be recognized by Netscape, but I was
wondering whether anyone knew of a way to accomplish this behavior of
windows using Internet Explorer. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Randy Webb

M B HONG 20 said the following on 9/14/2005 8:19 PM:
Hi all -

I am aware that the window.open method of javascript can open new popup
windows with different properties. I wish to use the 'dependent'
parameter to open a window that does not hide behind its parent window
when its parent window is clicked/brought into focus. I know that the
'dependent' parameter can only be recognized by Netscape, but I was
wondering whether anyone knew of a way to accomplish this behavior of
windows using Internet Explorer. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Use a modal dialog and hope the user doesn't have a half decent
popup-blocker.

Gérard Talbot

M B HONG 20 a écrit :
Hi all -

I am aware that the window.open method of javascript can open new popup
windows with different properties. I wish to use the 'dependent'
parameter to open a window that does not hide behind its parent window
when its parent window is clicked/brought into focus. I know that the
'dependent' parameter can only be recognized by Netscape, but I was
wondering whether anyone knew of a way to accomplish this behavior of
windows using Internet Explorer. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Everything is explained in this document:
http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/DOM:window.open#Window_functionality_features

Gérard

Stephen Chalmers

M B HONG 20 said:
Hi all -

I am aware that the window.open method of javascript can open new popup
windows with different properties. I wish to use the 'dependent'
parameter to open a window that does not hide behind its parent window
when its parent window is clicked/brought into focus. I know that the
'dependent' parameter can only be recognized by Netscape, but I was
wondering whether anyone knew of a way to accomplish this behavior of
windows using Internet Explorer. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Do you want the full functionality of that feature, or just to have the new
window maintain focus until it is closed by the user?

M B HONG 20

I am not concerned about pop up blockers, as users will have to disable
them to use our site. The thing is, I have a javascript menu on a main
screen, which opens child screens whenever an option is clicked. The
problem is, when a different option is clicked, the window that popped
up before goes behind the main page because the main page was clicked.
In Netscape/Mozilla the 'dependent' feature is a good way to circumvent
the losing of the windows behind the main one, but IE doesnt support
it. So i dont really care about keeping focus, but i want the windows
to stay up.
I am also aware of onBlur, focus fixes, but i was looking for something
cleaner in IE. Thanks.

Martin Honnen

M B HONG 20 wrote:

I am aware that the window.open method of javascript can open new popup
windows with different properties. I wish to use the 'dependent'
parameter to open a window that does not hide behind its parent window
when its parent window is clicked/brought into focus. I know that the
'dependent' parameter can only be recognized by Netscape, but I was
wondering whether anyone knew of a way to accomplish this behavior of
windows using Internet Explorer.

With IE/Win you can use
window.showModelessDialog('http://example.com/')
the docs are here:
<http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...html/reference/methods/showmodelessdialog.asp>
It is not exactly the same as a dependent window with Mozilla/Netscape
but probably what you are looking for in terms of IE.

M B HONG 20

Martin -

Thanks, thats pretty much exactly what i was looking for. but i
noticed there is no built in minimize function in a modeless dialog
window, is there a javascript minimize function i can trap with a
hotkey?

Martin Honnen

M said:
Thanks, thats pretty much exactly what i was looking for. but i
noticed there is no built in minimize function in a modeless dialog
window, is there a javascript minimize function i can trap with a
hotkey?

You will have to live with the features described in
<http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...html/reference/methods/showmodelessdialog.asp>
for setting certain stuff when the modeless dialog is being opened.
Browsers do not expose a function to script to minimize a window.