Interop/Automation on Webserver

Marcus

Hello,

I have windows forms application that I build in VB.Net that uses
Statistica (a statistics program) via an interop wrapper. As a stand
alone app it works fine. Now my supervisor would like this to go to
the web. Basically, I would be happy with just Statistica creating gif
images according to a user's request and placing them in a folder
where I can then retrieve them onto a web page. I have been playing
around with just trying to start Statistica in the normal automation
fashion in the page_load event. After creating an COM reference, I use
this code in the page_load event:

Dim statApp As STATISTICA.Application
statApp = New STATISTICA.Application()

I got an "Access Denied" for creating the new application. This makes
sense I suppose, as the ASPNET user account doesn't have many
priviledges. So as an experiment, I moved the ASPNET user into the
admin group and I still get the same error. I have also tried the same
thing with Excel and get the same result.

I suppose I have two questions:

1. How can I get this application to work on my web server?

2. Is this approach a bad idea, as now I am trying to move the app
into a mulituser environment? I don't anticipate many users at any one
time hitting the web page and producing graphs/charts. I could
implement some kind of queue so only one request at a time is handled
by the application. Might I run into other problems/issues running a
program like Statistica on the web server? I just don't want to have
to turf all the Statistica-code that I wrote and find utilize some
other charting solution.

Thanks for any help/feedback.

Regards,
Marcus