Word Interop Assemblies and ASP.Net

DougS

I have an ASP.Net 1.1 app running on my intranet. I want to be able to
output a report in Word. I have a .Net dll written for a similar WinForms
application. Can I install the Word Interop Assemblies on the web server and
use the same dll to produce the Word document?

Thanks in advance,
DougS

Mark Rae

I have an ASP.Net 1.1 app running on my intranet. I want to be able to
output a report in Word. I have a .Net dll written for a similar WinForms
application. Can I install the Word Interop Assemblies on the web server
and use the same dll to produce the Word document?

Microsoft does not support server-side automation of Office products:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q257757#kb2

They reason they don't support it is very simple - it doesn't work! Office
just isn't designed to work that way...

To create Word documents in ASP.NET, you have three choices:

1) Use HTML
Create your documents in HTML and then save them with a .doc extension -
Word won't care, and your users won't even notice the difference...

2) Use XML
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...52-3547-420a-a412-00a2662442d9&displaylang=en
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...80-f2c0-4b80-9ad1-2cb0c300aef9&displaylang=en

3) Use Aspose