Introducing ruSH

Reyn Vlietstra

Hi,

Traditionally the unix shell pipes text from one command to the next.
ruSH is a ruby object based shell.

It's current features include:
* combo box based completion of directories and ruby syntax
* Piping commands
* Easy implementation of new commands via ruby
* Executing external binaries.
* Aliases

Curses is used to handle the complex text drawing. We found
some bugs and added functions to the current available ruby
curses extension. Please have a look at the readme it has
a link to precompiled replacement as well as links to the fixed
curses.c file.

You can download ruSH here: http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=3D874
Visit us at #rush on freenode

Please look at the README it has the known issues as well as
the examples of what to do with ruSH.

Does anyone know of a win32 curses extension ?

Thanks.
--=20
Reyn Vlietstra

Sy

I've been waiting for something like this to come along.. but I'm
having trouble getting it going. The solution escapes me.

# gem install ruby-breakpoint
Attempting local installation of 'ruby-breakpoint'
Local gem file not found: ruby-breakpoint*.gem
Attempting remote installation of 'ruby-breakpoint'
Successfully installed ruby-breakpoint-0.5.0
Installing RDoc documentation for ruby-breakpoint-0.5.0...

# ruby rush.rb
rush.rb:6:in `require': No such file to load -- breakpoint (LoadError)

Ideas?

Reyn Vlietstra

You have to have=20
RUBYOPT=3D-rubygems=20
in your environment

I've been waiting for something like this to come along.. but I'm
having trouble getting it going. The solution escapes me.
=20
=20
=20
# gem install ruby-breakpoint
Attempting local installation of 'ruby-breakpoint'
Local gem file not found: ruby-breakpoint*.gem
Attempting remote installation of 'ruby-breakpoint'
Successfully installed ruby-breakpoint-0.5.0
Installing RDoc documentation for ruby-breakpoint-0.5.0...
=20
# ruby rush.rb
rush.rb:6:in `require': No such file to load -- breakpoint (LoadError)
=20
Ideas?
=20
=20

--=20
Reyn Vlietstra

Sy

Yes, thats one of the curses functions I added which were missing.
Please read the readme, it shows where to get the new curses.so

Aah, I noticed this mention, but assumed I could run the colour-bugged
version without the fix. I'll check into that, thanks. =3D)

Sy

Aah, I noticed this mention, but assumed I could run the colour-bugged
version without the fix. I'll check into that, thanks. =3D)

I got it working, looks good. I can't wait to start thinking about
replacements for all my 4DOS scripts from way back. =3D)

jm

A screenshot for anyone interested.

http://reyn.co.za/rushtest2.png

Yes, interested. Looking good. Especially like the expressions feature.
Do you know how many times I've reached for bc or some other calculator
to check my arithmetic? Although you can do it in bash it's not as
straight forward as it should be. Do you have a directory where you can
put new commands?

I'll have to download it a give it a serious work out (time permitting).

Jeff.

Tanner Burson

------=_Part_40974_7592156.1130165257908

Any work still being done on this? What's the status these days?

--
=3D=3D=3DTanner Burson=3D=3D=3D
(e-mail address removed)

------=_Part_40974_7592156.1130165257908--

Reyn Vlietstra

------=_Part_22958_16220591.1130172800417

I'm very busy at work atm,
rue has continued working on rush.

Have a look at #rush on freenode.

I truly believe linux/etc. needs this,
have a look, see if you can improve/add anything.

ES

Any work still being done on this? What's the status these days?

Yes, although I have not done much recently, mainly due to
trying to perfect and digest the design for it (further
hindered by being busy at work & school). The 0.2 series will
be the implementation of this.

The current state is usable and fun to play with (I use rush
rather than irb, also). Version 0.1.bandicoot is available:

http://www.magical-cat.org/projects/rush/downloads/rush-0.1.bandicoot.tar=
gz

Documentation is here:

http://www.magical-cat.org/projects/rush/rdoc/