Invisible applet

Roedy Green

Using netbeans designer to put together a JApplet - Form holding a
Jpanel with stuff on it. Sometimes it compiles OK and the applet looks
fine in an HTML page. Other times I just end up with a blank applet (no
error messages).

You have turned on the console? See
http://mindprod.com/jgloss/console.html

Do any OTHER applets on the page render?
Find out by putting some tiny simple applet on the same page. The
problem may be nothing to do with your Applet.

Does this behaviour happen on other browsers?
see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/browser.html
It may be a browser bug.
--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
http://mindprod.com

"It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change."
~ Charles Darwin

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

Roedy said:
You have turned on the console? See
http://mindprod.com/jgloss/console.html

Do any OTHER applets on the page render?
Find out by putting some tiny simple applet on the same page. The
problem may be nothing to do with your Applet.

Does this behaviour happen on other browsers?
see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/browser.html
It may be a browser bug.

It's definitely the applet's problem.
Something to do with the resizing of the Jpanel on the applet form

--
Dirk

Arne Vajhøj

Dirk said:
I know, but it's a real pain esp as I don't have somebody next to me who
knows about it. Which means that simple things that would take a few
seconds to sort out can take me hours. Still, this is a good helpful NG:)

Not too many are really using applets today.

But there are still a few and this group is probably one of the
better places to find them.

Arne

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

Roedy said:
You have turned on the console? See
http://mindprod.com/jgloss/console.html

Do any OTHER applets on the page render?
Find out by putting some tiny simple applet on the same page. The
problem may be nothing to do with your Applet.

Does this behaviour happen on other browsers?
see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/browser.html
It may be a browser bug.

I'm getting this, from the Java Console:
Control is the package and ControlApplet the name of the applet.
Can someone explain in general terms what is happening?

at java.awt.EventQueue.invokeAndWait(Unknown Source)
at Control.ControlApplet.init(ControlApplet.java:22)
at
sun.plugin2.applet.Plugin2Manager$AppletExecutionRunnable.run(Unknown
Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Caused by: java.security.AccessControlException: access denied
(java.awt.AWTPermission setAppletStub)
at java.security.AccessControlContext.checkPermission(Unknown Source)
at java.security.AccessController.checkPermission(Unknown Source)
at java.applet.Applet.setStub(Unknown Source)
at Control.ControlApplet.initComponents(ControlApplet.java:67)
at Control.ControlApplet.access$000(ControlApplet.java:17)
at Control.ControlApplet$1.run(ControlApplet.java:24)

Dirk

Andrew Thompson

Can someone explain in general terms what is happening?
Caused by: java.security.AccessControlException: access denied
(java.awt.AWTPermission setAppletStub)

This is generally caused by a sandboxed applet
attempting to do things that only a trusted applet
can do.

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

Lew said:
So what other things does the applet sandbox restrict?

Well, by a process of eliminating almost everything from the applet it
seems that I have an additional invisible scroll pane right at the
bottom somewhere. No idea how or why (probably finger problem???).

Anyway, I can't seem to get rid of it without re-doing the entire applet
from scratch. Is there any simply way of eliminating a container without
trashing its contents? Assuming, of course, that it is containing
anything at all.

--
Dirk