IO.popen fails to pen persistent ssh connection

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Hector Quiroz, Oct 3, 2008.

  1. What the?
    The following code(see below) works fine in a few of my ruby scripts but
    fails on others with the following message:

    '/scripts/ruby/testssh.rb:4: undefined method `exitstatus' for
    nil:NilClass (NoMethodError)'.

    I know ssh is working and I can run ssh commands to #{hostname} using
    #{username} credentials. I use this exact code in other scripts from the
    same workstation, ssh'ing to the same remote host and it works fine.

    I've copied the following lines and pasted them unto a new file and it
    still fails with the above message.

    #!/usr/bin/ruby -w
    ssh = IO.popen("ssh #{username}@#{hostname} -T", "w+")
    status = $?
    break unless (status.exitstatus == 0)

    Help...
    Thank you

    Hector

    Hector Quiroz, Oct 3, 2008

  2. Hector Quiroz

    ara.t.howard Guest

    the process has not exited yet - $? is therefore nil.

    a @ http://codeforpeople.com/

    ara.t.howard, Oct 3, 2008