IP address - first 3 numbers

Jemdam.com

Hi,

I need a real basic first guess and what country my visitors are from. Does
any one have a list of IP address ranges at a high level, I.E.

UK 80.xxx.xxx.xxx to 85.xxx.xxx.xxx
Germany 70.xxx.xxx.xxx etc etc

Has long as I can make it 80% accurate that will be fine as the user can
change the country manually at any stage.

Thanks,

Daavid

Dylan Parry

Jemdam.com said:
I need a real basic first guess and what country my visitors are from. Does
any one have a list of IP address ranges at a high level, I.E.

UK 80.xxx.xxx.xxx to 85.xxx.xxx.xxx

It doesn't work like that. For example, I have used IP addresses like
213.*, 195.*, 147.*, and many others. All of which were in the UK., as
is my current IP address which is in the form 88.*

I'm sure you'll agree that is quite a spread, and that any attempt to
guess my location from the first set of digits is doomed to failure.

--
Dylan Parry

The opinions stated above are not necessarily representative of
those of my cats. All opinions expressed are entirely your own.

?

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Kim_Andr=E9_Aker=F8?=

Dylan said:
It doesn't work like that. For example, I have used IP addresses like
213.*, 195.*, 147.*, and many others. All of which were in the UK., as
is my current IP address which is in the form 88.*

I'm sure you'll agree that is quite a spread, and that any attempt to
guess my location from the first set of digits is doomed to failure.

Speaking of which, my current IP address (which has been the same for
the last year or so) and the ones used at the office (we have a small
segment) begin with 213.*, and both locations are in Norway. I've seen
a segment of 213.* routed to Belarus as well.

The closest the OP will get, is to use an external database, such as
these free alternatives:
http://www.ip2location.com/IPV6-COUNTRY.aspx
http://www.maxmind.com/app/geoip_country
http://www.ip2nation.com/

Jim Moe

Jemdam.com said:
Hi,

I need a real basic first guess and what country my visitors are from. Does
any one have a list of IP address ranges at a high level, I.E.
IP address blocks were issued sequentially on a per request basis.
That's it. Any relationship to geographical or political locales is
coincidental.
I suspect the ip-to-country services do a whois lookup (or similar) to
relate an IP to a country. There is nothing in an IP itself to do that.

Ben C

IP address blocks were issued sequentially on a per request basis.
That's it. Any relationship to geographical or political locales is
coincidental.
I suspect the ip-to-country services do a whois lookup (or similar) to
relate an IP to a country. There is nothing in an IP itself to do that.

There's possibly something in the DNS record, which is what xtraceroute
uses. But it never seems to work that well whenever I've tried it.

http://www.dtek.chalmers.se/~d3august/xt/

"RFC 1712 and 1876 are proposed standards for mapping
hostnames/IP-addresses to geographical locations. This has the
potential for removing a lot of the guesswork xtraceroute has to do.
RFC1876 is the one to go for."

Toby A Inkster

Jim said:
IP address blocks were issued sequentially on a per request basis.
That's it. Any relationship to geographical or political locales is
coincidental.
I suspect the ip-to-country services do a whois lookup (or similar) to
relate an IP to a country. There is nothing in an IP itself to do that.

Although I'm sure they do use whois, they certainly do a lot more than
that. GeoIP for instance is able to identify AOL users in different
countries with a reasonable degree of accuracy. Try doing that with whois!

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
Geek of ~ HTML/SQL/Perl/PHP/Python*/Apache/Linux

* = I'm getting there!

Jemdam.com

Thanks for your feedback guys. I have a system working now (I think). I
found a free list of ranges that is updated every 24 hours. Could you click
on my test site and tell me if it finds the right country for you as of
course I can only check my own IP address. The country is listed in the top
left (ignore the flags in the top right). http://www.binaryincome.com

Richard Formby

Jemdam.com said:
Thanks for your feedback guys. I have a system working now (I think). I
found a free list of ranges that is updated every 24 hours. Could you
click on my test site and tell me if it finds the right country for you as
of course I can only check my own IP address. The country is listed in the
top left (ignore the flags in the top right). http://www.binaryincome.com

<quote>your from AUSTRALIA</quote>

The wording is "you're from Australia" :)

I hope you are not going to let this site lose in the wild with all those
errors in it.

Jemdam.com

<quote>your from AUSTRALIA</quote>

The wording is "you're from Australia" :)

I hope you are not going to let this site lose in the wild with all those
errors in it.

No, all the typos will be fixed, there is still another 2 or 3 weeks of
development to so.

Thanks,

David

Ed Mullen

Jemdam.com said:
Thanks for your feedback guys. I have a system working now (I think). I
found a free list of ranges that is updated every 24 hours. Could you click
on my test site and tell me if it finds the right country for you as of
course I can only check my own IP address. The country is listed in the top
left (ignore the flags in the top right). http://www.binaryincome.com

I can't see anything like that. And you have an overlap of content.
http://edmullen.net/temp/cap02.jpg

dorayme

"Richard Formby said:
<quote>your from AUSTRALIA</quote>

The wording is "you're from Australia" :)

I hope you are not going to let this site lose in the wild with all those
errors in it.

If it loses, it loses. Maybe it will win some and lose some.

Stuart Miller

Jemdam.com said:
Thanks for your feedback guys. I have a system working now (I think). I
found a free list of ranges that is updated every 24 hours. Could you
click on my test site and tell me if it finds the right country for you as
of course I can only check my own IP address. The country is listed in the
top left (ignore the flags in the top right). http://www.binaryincome.com
I see no indication of where I am located, using netscape 8, same using
firefox.
IP is 70.71.xxx.xxx

Stuart

the red dot

Jemdam.com said:
Thanks for your feedback guys. I have a system working now (I think). I
found a free list of ranges that is updated every 24 hours. Could you click
on my test site and tell me if it finds the right country for you as of
course I can only check my own IP address. The country is listed in the top
left (ignore the flags in the top right). http://www.binaryincome.com
just gone with opera and IE and there was nothing saying where i was from,
but then again what is the point of having such a thing (i know where i am)
unless your content is going to be tailored to the specific country?

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Jim Moe
IP address blocks were issued sequentially on a per request basis.
That's it. Any relationship to geographical or political locales is
coincidental.
I suspect the ip-to-country services do a whois lookup (or similar)
relate an IP to a country. There is nothing in an IP itself to do
that.

I'm sure it's similar to the way telephone numbers used to be assigned
in the United States. For example, BUtterfield (28) was the name of a
ritzy exchange in Manhattan and CRestview (27), in Beverly Hills. If
you know the three digit prefix, you knew where someone lived. There are
too many phone numbers to do that now, especially in Los Angeles.

Chris F.A. Johnson

<quote>your from AUSTRALIA</quote>

The wording is "you're from Australia" :)

I hope you are not going to let this site lose in the wild with all those
errors in it.

I think that's the first time I've seen "lose" when "loose" is
meant. The other way round is depressingly common.

Jonathan N. Little

Chris said:
I think that's the first time I've seen "lose" when "loose" is
meant. The other way round is depressingly common.
Maybe the site is "lost" ;-)

Charlie

Jemdam.com said:
Thanks for your feedback guys. I have a system working now (I think). I
found a free list of ranges that is updated every 24 hours. Could you click
on my test site and tell me if it finds the right country for you as of
course I can only check my own IP address. The country is listed in the top
left (ignore the flags in the top right). http://www.binaryincome.com

When I tried it tonight, I got the following:

"Internal Server Error, this is an error with your script, check your error
log for more information."

Maybe you're working on the script.

Charlie