is perl better?

jon c

Ok, so here's the deal.

some idoit wrote a perl script that executes a java program using the system
command.

the operating system was windows

I decided to port the evil perl to lovely python.

All seemed fine, except when I run I find that the character string is too
long?

(a very long class path is parsed to the java executable)

the identical command can be run by perls system call.

why does perl work and not python?

http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger

Peter Hansen

jon said:
some idoit wrote a perl script that executes a java program using the
system command.

All seemed fine, except when I run I find that the character string is
too long?

the identical command can be run by perls system call.
why does perl work and not python?

Post code samples, so people have a clue what you are talking about.
How long is the character string? How long is the command line limit on
the operating system you are using?

-Peter