Is Scheme/LISP faster than C/C++

Discussion in 'C++' started by bolega, Jun 14, 2010.

  1. bolega

    bolega Guest

    Quoting the following post :-

    I am looking for expert opinions

    http://groups.google.com/group/gnu.emacs.help/browse_thread/thread/54fb97d15b234d31#
    Lisp runs faster than C. Once you get more time away from screwing
    Palestinians, and other false-flags, you will find ideas like these

    How to make Lisp go faster than C
    Didier Verna
    Abstract
    Contrary to popular belief, Lisp code can be very ef-
    cient today: it can run as fast as equivalent C code
    or even faster in some cases. In this paper, we explain
    how to tune Lisp code for performance by introducing
    the proper type declarations, using the appropriate
    data structures and compiler information. We also
    explain how e ciency is achieved by the compilers.
    These techniques are applied to simple image process-
    ing algorithms in order to demonstrate the announced
    performance on pixel access and arithmetic operations
    in both languages.

    =======
    Standard Disclaimer, nothing personal

    Hey Racist and INcompetent FBI Bustards, where is the ANTHRAX Mailer ?
    Where are the 4 blackboxes ? Where are the Pentagon Videos ? Why did
    you release the 5 dancing Israelis compromising the whole 911
    investigation ? If the Dubai Police can catch Mossad Murderers and put
    the videos and Iranian Police can why cant you put the Pentagon
    Videos ? If Iran police can put the AMERICAN TERRORIST, Riggi and
    puting on INTERNATIONAL MEDIA a day after catching him without
    TORTURE, why cant you put the INNOCENT patsies on the MEDIA. Why did
    you have to LIE about Dr Afiya Siddiqui and torture that Innocent
    little mother of 3 and smashing the skull of her one child ?

    There are CRIMINAL cases against CIA CRIMINAL Bustards in Italian
    courts.

    FBI bustards paid a penalty of $5.8 million to Steven Hatfill, but
    only because he was a white. They got away with MURDER of thousands of
    Non-whites in all parts of the world.

    Daily 911 news : http://911blogger.com

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRfhUezbKLw

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7kGZ3XPEm4

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lX18zUp6WPY

    bolega, Jun 14, 2010

  2. bolega

    bolega Guest

    Sorry, I dont have access to the journal papers ... or I would do
    research myself.

    bolega, Jun 14, 2010

  3. Here is the paper :

    http://www.iaeng.org/IJCS/issues_v32/issue_4/IJCS_32_4_19.pdf

    Get ghostview which can show you better font display of the older
    types.

    I give good help and I ask people to spread the info in my sig by
    quoting it.

    The FAT per DIEM FBI bustards use our TAX PAYER MONEY and INCOMPETENCE
    is UNACCEPTABLE.

    =====

[...]

    Conclusion : FBI bustards are RACIST and INcompetent. They could
    neither catch the ANTHRAX or 911 YANK/Jew criminals nor could they
    cover them up - whichever was their actual task.

    SLASH the SALARIES of FBI/CIA/NSA etc BUSTARDS into half all across
    tbe board, esp the whites/jew on the top.

    nanothermite911fbibustards, Jun 14, 2010
  4. bolega

    fortunatus Guest

    For crying out loud, the best any compiler can do is make optimal
    machine language. Many C compilers can do that over most inputs. So
    can many Lisp compilers if you give the right type data. So it's a
    moot point.

    The only point to discuss would be that Scheme - in the R5 version of
    the spec at least - doesn't have standard way to specify type data
    unless I am mistaken. Therefore you will find that Scheme compilers
    add their own syntax for it. Again we are led to a moot point.

    fortunatus, Jun 14, 2010
  5. bolega

    fortunatus Guest

    One point that might be interesting, you do include C++ in your post.
    Therefore some compare/contrast of C++ class member function
    invocation rate versus Lisp object method invocation rate might be
    meaningful. I'm sure if you Google back through comp.lang.lisp you
    will find plenty on it already.

    fortunatus, Jun 14, 2010
  6. bolega

    Raymond Toy Guest

    Is that why I had to use assembly code instead of C for some parts of my
    previous projects?

    There was even one example where the C compiler made spectacularly bad
    code. I only needed 6 pointer registers (the arch has 8), but the
    compiler decided to use only one or two and spilled and reloaded them
    from the stack for each use. Yay!

    Ray

    Raymond Toy, Jun 14, 2010
  7. I don't know about that...

    It's hard to beat the speed of a program that segfaults immediately. ;)

    It's hardly fair if you're going to demand that the C program actually
    works correctly.

    Grant Edwards, Jun 15, 2010
  8. bolega

    tni Guest

    For non-vector code, it's usually possible to get the compiler to
    generate very good code. There was likely an issue with pointer aliasing
    in your C code, so the compiler wasn't allowed to keep stuff in registers.

    For non-vector code, it's very hard to be better with assembly than
    optimal C/C++ code (with a decent current compiler), unless you need
    specific hardware features (like the carry flag) that aren't exposed in
    C/C++.

    In general, having pointers prevents a lot of optimizations, so at least
    in theory it's possible for other languages to do significantly better
    than C/C++. (But C/C++ has had huge investments in compiler technology.)

    tni, Jun 15, 2010
  9. bolega

    fortunatus Guest

    That's one of the worst compiler stories I've heard since 1979! How
    awful!

    fortunatus, Jun 16, 2010