Is Serialization done with Soap or XmlSerializer

cmay

For some reason, I had it in my head that if you were passing classes
to/from webservices, they were serialized using the
System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Soap.SoapFormatter.

But it seems like the examples I am looking at now (in .Net 2.0) are
using the XmlSerializer to serialize types for transmittal.

1) Is this correct that it uses the xmlserializer and not the
soapformatter
2) was it always this way, or is this new in .net 2.0?

Josh Twist

Hi Cmay,

ASP.NET WebServices (.asmx) use the XmlSerializer
(System.Xml.XmlSerialization) to serialize your classes, which are then
embedded into a soap body.

WCF (Windows Communication Foundation, formerly 'Indigo') services
don't use the XmlSerializer by default, but can be configured to do so.

I think the SoapFormatter you mention is primarily in .NET remoting.

Josh