IS Typed DataSet an implementation of ORM ( Object relation Mapping)

pratham

If i understand correct? is strong typed DataSet is ORM implementation
by Microsoft?

Expecting comments .. please
Praveen

Karl Seguin [MVP]

I'm sure opinions will differ on this, but I'd call it a loose
implementation at best.

The problem with Datasets (typed or not) is that they carry with them the
burden of a generic container and the underlying database schema. As such,
typed datasets are much more coupled to your relational model, and less
object driven than traditional ORMs. You're pretty much taking your
relational model into your business layer and sticking an API on top of
it....blah....

The LINQ features of 3.0 will probably lead to much cleaner implementations.

Karl

pratham

Thanks Karl, for the reply, is ORM mapping good choice for modelling
BLL objects? or a custom class is more benefical in long run? and how
do you see using Typed Dataset which microsoft is pushing as you said
loosely implemetation of ORM?

Karl Seguin [MVP]

It comes down to what your project is, personal preference and experience. I
tend to dislike datasets as a whole, so my opinion might be biased. ORMs are
good when dealing with a large domain. For smaller/medium domains, I tend to
prefer to map things directly to my classes - especially if the relational
and object world are similar.

Karl