ItemCommand problems

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Datagrid Control' started by Mark Kelly, Jan 23, 2004.

  1. Mark Kelly

    Mark Kelly Guest

    Hi, I don't seem to be able to get a imagebutton (within a template column)
    to fire an itemcommand event when clicked. Looking through this NG, it seems
    like the same problem has been raised many times, except in most cases the
    problem occurs as the datagrid's databind method is being called on
    Postback - something that definately isn't happening in my code.

    I also have a standard ButtonColumn labled 'test' - which when clicked seems
    to work fine, i.e the dgFileList_ItemCommand fucntion is executed.

    Can anybody tell me why the event isn't being raised by a click of the
    imagebutton (it's definately doing a postback, but thats all)? Is it
    anything to do with the fact its a user control?

    Any help is greatly appreciated

    Here are the relevant sections of my code:
    ..ascx
    <asp:datagrid id="dgFileList" Enabled="False" AutoGenerateColumns="False"
    runat="server">
    <Columns>
    <asp:ButtonColumn Text="test"></asp:ButtonColumn>
    <asp:TemplateColumn HeaderText="Image">
    <ItemTemplate>
    <asp:ImageButton CommandName="ClickMe" ImageUrl='<%#
    DataBinder.Eval(Container.DataItem, "ThumbURL")%>' id="ImageSelectButton"
    runat="server">
    </asp:ImageButton>
    </ItemTemplate>
    </asp:TemplateColumn>

    ..ascx.cs
    public abstract class FlieList : System.Web.UI.UserControl

    {

    protected System.Web.UI.WebControls.DataGrid dgFileList;

    //this.ShowFiles();

    }

    public void ShowFiles()

    {

    //Datagrid - Get file list

    Files files = new Files();

    FileItem[] fileList = files.GetFileList();

    dgFileList.DataSource = fileList;

    dgFileList.DataBind();

    //

    //

    InitializeComponent();

    base.OnInit(e);

    }

    /// <summary>

    /// </summary>

    private void InitializeComponent()

    {

    this.dgFileList.ItemCommand += new
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.DataGridCommandEventHandler(this.dgFileList_ItemCo
    mmand);

    #endregion

    private void dgFileList_ItemCommand(object source,

    string s = "test";

    string y = "anothertest";

    if(e.CommandName=="ClickMe")

    {

    s = "test";

    y = "anothertest";

    }

    s += y;

    }

    Mark Kelly, Jan 23, 2004

  2. Mark Kelly

    Bob Clegg Guest

    Hi Mark,
    I have a similar problem which seemed to be solved by allowing databinding
    in the Postback.
    ie. Initially My pageload only had databinding for the grid in the not
    ispostback section of an if statement.
    Grid worked OK till I decided to programmatically add a template column with
    a item button control.
    Initial load was OK but press the button and the column disappeared and no
    way was it firing the ItemCommand event.
    In desperation I added a databind to the postback side of the If statement.
    As soon as I did that the column stayed on screen and the test code in the
    ItemCommand event handler fired.

    I am new to Web development and Webforms so I don't know yet if this is a
    fix or just a dead end that will fail with further testing.

    FWIW.
    regards
    Bob

    Bob Clegg, Jan 23, 2004

  3. Mark Kelly

    Mark Kelly Guest

    Hi Bob

    Thanks for your response, I tried your suggestion, but unfortunately it
    didn't work. I'm wondering if the problem is occuring because this DataGrid
    is within a custom control and whether I may need to override the
    CreateChildControls() method??? I really don't know enough about this so
    I'll have to investigate further. If anybody has any suggestions I'd greatly
    appreciate it.

    Thanks

    Mark

    Mark Kelly, Jan 26, 2004
  4. Mark Kelly

    Mark Kelly Guest

    Sorry, I meant User Control, not Custom Control!

    Mark Kelly, Jan 26, 2004
  5. Mark Kelly

    werddomain

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2011
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hi all,
    I have this problem in a repeater when i use ImageButton ...
    i have search the net for this solution when LinkButton work, but not ImageButton ...

    then i think, LinkButton work? so i will use it :)
    <asp:LinkButton CommandName="Filter" CommandArgument='<%# Eval("ID") %>' Text="" runat="server" >
    <asp:image imageurl='<%#Eval("Img") %>' runat="server"/>

    </asp:LinkButton>
    So, the image is inside the <A> tag

    have fun :)

    WerdDomain