Java-based Newsgroups Access w/out Monthly Fee

glucegen1

Hi:

Since I currently use Google Groups to post on Usenet newsgroups, I am
vulnerable to impersonators. Someone has been impersonating me on
Usenet and posting garbage. When I tried to inform people on NGs about
my situation, the imposter began to make my multiple copies of my
complaints changing some of the contents of my messages. There are
100s -- if not 1,000s -- of these posts that seem to be from me
because this guy has forged my email address, IP address, profile,
headers, and username.

I am wondering if there are any Java-based softwares that will allow
me to post to Newsgroups without having to pay a monthly or yearly
fee. Hopefully it should be free. If I have to pay, it should be just
once.

Here is an example of a post impersonating me:

http://groups.google.com/group/alt....56119d7d1663?dmode=source&hl=en&output=gplain

Here is an example of a post that was really by me:

http://groups.google.com/group/alt....0ea10cbc3d55?dmode=source&hl=en&output=gplain

Thanks,

Radium

Curt Welch

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.tv.queerasfolk.uk/msg/ef9f56119d7d1663

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.tv.queerasfolk.uk/msg/bcfb0ea10cbc3d55
?dmode=source&hl=en&output=gplain

Thanks,

Radium

Radium, the jerk is using the names of hundreds if not thousands of other
users in his crap-generating posts. You are the only one that seems to
care. You need to learn to do what everyone else does - just ignore him.
There's really no way to stop him. He's smart enough to know how to beat
the system and if he's got nothing better to to with his time, he's going
to keep making life a bitch for people on Usenet for as long as he feels
like it. Maybe this is the only place in his life he feels like he has any
power. When someone sees a post full of random works, with your name on,
they won't think that you posted it. We all know it was posted by the
spammer. The more you talk about him, the more fun he will have and the
longer he will keep messing up Usenet. So please, just learn to ignore him
and stop whining about him.

And I sure hope this message I'm replying to is one of yours and not
another one created by the jerk to make it look like your message.

There are many places to get free Usenet access to the text groups other
than Google. Your ISP probably provides you free access to Usenet with
your account. But it makes no difference where you post from, the jerk can
still forge your headers. It has nothing to do with Google. It's the
simple fact that Usenet is an open system with no security where anyone can
post anything they want - including forged messages of other users. If you
can't accept this, you really shouldn't be using Usenet.

glucegen1

Curt said:
Radium, the jerk is using the names of hundreds if not thousands of other
users in his crap-generating posts. You are the only one that seems to
care. You need to learn to do what everyone else does - just ignore him.
There's really no way to stop him. He's smart enough to know how to beat
the system and if he's got nothing better to to with his time, he's going
to keep making life a bitch for people on Usenet for as long as he feels
like it. Maybe this is the only place in his life he feels like he has any
power. When someone sees a post full of random works, with your name on,
they won't think that you posted it. We all know it was posted by the
spammer. The more you talk about him, the more fun he will have and the
longer he will keep messing up Usenet. So please, just learn to ignore him
and stop whining about him.

It's weird because this is the first time I've really been
impersonated. Prior to this case, there were other posters who
impersonated me but anyone could easily check the headers and realize
that it wasn't me posting the stuff. This time, however, I am dealing
with an invincible-invisible type of forger.
And I sure hope this message I'm replying to is one of yours and not
another one created by the jerk to make it look like your message.

Yes. This is the real me.
There are many places to get free Usenet access to the text groups other
than Google. Your ISP probably provides you free access to Usenet with
your account. But it makes no difference where you post from, the jerk can
still forge your headers. It has nothing to do with Google. It's the
simple fact that Usenet is an open system with no security where anyone can
post anything they want - including forged messages of other users. If you
can't accept this, you really shouldn't be using Usenet.

What really bothers me is that the people in the spammed newsgroups
get upset at me because think that I am responsible for the garbage
posts. Seeing the headers doesn't give them the truth that I am not
the one posting such junk. My email address is filled with angry
messages from people who think I am spamming their NGs.

Equally-important is that if I post a serious message to those groups
-- let's say a question about electronic devices to
sci.electronic.basics because I am interested in electronics - the
people in that NG are going to think I am still the spammer. My
reputation would be ruined on Usenet and no one would take my messages
seriously even if they were genuine, non-trolling, and non-spammish.

I have a wide variety of interests in science but no own wants to
answer my interesting questions because they think I am just trying to
pester people into giving me a reaction.

Most important is that I don't want to lose my internet connection
because angry people [who think I am the culprit] complain to my ISP.
Spamming is a form of net-abuse. Most -- if not all -- ISPs are
required to disconnect abusive -- or supposedly abusive -- clients
from the internet. Not doing so can make the ISP liable for the abuse
so they react by turning off the internet connection.

Given that the impersonator has forged my IP and header info, it's so
easy for me to be punished for a wrong I did not commit. This is what
really scares me.

~kurt

people in that NG are going to think I am still the spammer. My
reputation would be ruined on Usenet and no one would take my messages
seriously even if they were genuine, non-trolling, and non-spammish.

Reputation? You are not even using your real name, so how can you
have one?
Given that the impersonator has forged my IP and header info, it's so
easy for me to be punished for a wrong I did not commit. This is what
really scares me.

Uh, your ISP should be able to tell which ones are forged and which ones
are yours.

You can always use a PGP sig. I've seen this stop impersonators before.

- Kurt

Hunter Gratzner

Hi:

Since I currently use Google Groups to post on Usenet newsgroups, I am
vulnerable to impersonators.

No, it is not Google Groups making you vulnerable. Google Groups is
responsible for a lot of bad things, but not this. It is the Usenet
protocol NNTP which does not guard anyone from faking almost anything
in a posting header, except parts of the path entry.
Someone has been impersonating me on
Usenet and posting garbage.

Well, the writing was on the wall. No, not for you, but that such
vandalism in general was about to start. Just two weeks ago someone
calling himself Almond (aka Gennady Kalmykov, Jimi, Nukleus,
Librarian, Bloxy's, jc, Acharya Veeren, NewsMaestro) spammed many
newsgroups to advertised a tool to do such vandalism. If you google
for some of the above names (particular Nukleus, Librarian, Bloxy's)
you'll find that the spammer has quite a Usenet history.

The tool looked remarkably like HipCrime's News Agent. News Agent is a
tool for massive Usenet flodding. If "HipCrime" doesn't ring a bell
then Google the name, too. Its a legendary Usenet abuser often called
DipCrime, dipslime, dipshit, or dippy by those who don't love him very
much.
When I tried to inform people on NGs about
my situation, the imposter began to make my multiple copies of my
complaints changing some of the contents of my messages.

If I remember correctly this is a build-in feature of NewsAgent. It
takes postings from the newsgroup, extracts the header and uses that
information to create nonsense postings with the same subject, from
and other header information.
There are
100s -- if not 1,000s -- of these posts that seem to be from me
because this guy has forged my email address, IP address, profile,
headers, and username.

Sounds like the above tool.
I am wondering if there are any Java-based softwares that will allow
me to post to Newsgroups without having to pay a monthly or yearly
fee.

That has noting to do with Java. In fact, many of the better
newsreaders are in not written in Java. What you first of all need is
access to a news server. Your own ISP, RoadRunner, runs news-
server.socal.rr.com Access should be part of your normal ISP contract.
Then you grap one of the many newsreaders available on the net,
install it, and configure it to access news-server.socal.rr.com

All this has nothing to do with Java.
Here is an example of a post impersonating me:

Discuss such postings to news.admin.net-abuse.usenet unless the people
there aren't tired of HipCrime discussions. It has nothing to do with
Java.

Roedy Green

I am wondering if there are any Java-based softwares that will allow
me to post to Newsgroups without having to pay a monthly or yearly
fee. Hopefully it should be free. If I have to pay, it should be just
once.

you can acces with google using a web interface free.

The Forte Agent people offer a server for something in the order of $2
a month. See http://mindprod.com/jgloss/forteagent.html

My IAP, Telus, bundles newsgroup server access with my high speed DSL
Internet access.. It is of variable quality. Every time it gets so
awful I start looking for a replacement, it reforms.

Check with your IAP. It may have a news server you can use free.

try pinging "news".

Curt Welch

It's weird because this is the first time I've really been
impersonated. Prior to this case, there were other posters who
impersonated me but anyone could easily check the headers and realize
that it wasn't me posting the stuff. This time, however, I am dealing
with an invincible-invisible type of forger.

Yeah, it sure sucks.
Yes. This is the real me.

What really bothers me is that the people in the spammed newsgroups
get upset at me because think that I am responsible for the garbage
posts. Seeing the headers doesn't give them the truth that I am not
the one posting such junk. My email address is filled with angry
messages from people who think I am spamming their NGs.

Yeah, there's not much you can do. You can post a few messages in the
same groups to let people know. Or you can just ignore it. Most of the
guys that wrote you will probably figure it out on their own soon enough.

I've been using the same email address since around 1992 and I think every
spammer on the planet is used it to send spam at one time or another.
Equally-important is that if I post a serious message to those groups
-- let's say a question about electronic devices to
sci.electronic.basics because I am interested in electronics - the
people in that NG are going to think I am still the spammer. My
reputation would be ruined on Usenet and no one would take my messages
seriously even if they were genuine, non-trolling, and non-spammish.

Most people will understand you are not the spammer when you post a serious
question or take the time to actually help people.
I have a wide variety of interests in science but no own wants to
answer my interesting questions because they think I am just trying to
pester people into giving me a reaction.

Well, there are plenty of places other than Usenet these days to chat with
people about subjects you are interested in.
Most important is that I don't want to lose my Internet connection
because angry people [who think I am the culprit] complain to my ISP.

Yeah, well, that can happen. It sucks, but all you can really do is try to
explain it to them, and if they aren't willing to listen, move on with your
life and get Internet access from some place else.
Spamming is a form of net-abuse. Most -- if not all -- ISPs are
required to disconnect abusive -- or supposedly abusive -- clients
from the internet.

No, they aren't required to do that at all. They do it mostly just because
it would cost them more money if they didn't. Some save money just by
ignoring most abuse complaints.
Not doing so can make the ISP liable for the abuse
so they react by turning off the Internet connection.

It all depends on what you want to call abuse. Flooding newsgroups with
crap and forging names is not against any law. Usenet providers are not
required to cut off a user doing that. I own and and have been running a
Usenet business for over 10 years and have never seen a legal argument
suggesting I should cut off a user for doing that.

I cut off customers who abuse Usenet simply because I don't want to see
Usenet abused.
Given that the impersonator has forged my IP and header info, it's so
easy for me to be punished for a wrong I did not commit. This is what
really scares me.

Yeah that's true. However, the amount of "punishment" you will receive is
relative to the crime. Anyone that attempts to punish you knows they are
taking the risk of punishing the wrong person since nothing on Usenet is
verified and everything can be forged. As such, they won't risk hurting
you too bad. At most, all you can really expect to happen is to loose an
ISP account or a Usenet account. There are plenty of options for most
people to get Internet access these days.

The best advice is to simply not get these cyber bullies mad at you. Just
ignore them and pretend they aren't there. Let them do what they feel they
need to do and just get on with your life. The more you post messages
trying to make them stop, the more likely you are to encourage them to keep
bothering you.

If they won't go away and keep using your identity, then create a new
identity.

You can also set up your own web site to establish your true identify and
use that as a way of explaining who you really are and the problems you
have had with this form of identify thief. The more time you spend
establishing yourself as someone who cares and tries to help others, and
tries to make the net a better place for everyone, the less people will
believe any crap messages created by a forger.