Java Editor with Auto-complete.

riva

I use GNU/Linux. I had programmed in Java writing source code in Vim.
But the huge number of classes and methods is really daunting, and
auto-complete feature really comes in handy. I learned about the IDE's
like Netbeans and Eclipse, but they are too much ``feature-rich'' for
my use. Moreover, they ask me to write in the code they want, not the
way I want it. I found that for Windows there is an editor which is
JBuilder, which auto-indents, auto-completes and highlights too. Is
there any such editor available for GNU/Linux?

Gordon Beaton

I found that for Windows there is an editor which is JBuilder, which
auto-indents, auto-completes and highlights too. Is there any such
editor available for GNU/Linux?

Isn't JBuilder available for Linux?

Try emacs. It will auto-indent, syntax highlight, and to a certain
extent autocomplete, as well as almost anything else you ask it to do.
Actually it probably can autocomplete as well as any other editor, but
I prefer to use a mode that only completes when I need it.

/gordon

Senatov

Mark said:
NetBeans doesn't do this? NetBeans doesn't run on Lunux?
yes, they does.
But i think, he asking about something not so `feature-rich'' as
this two GUI. Probably where is some plug-ins for VI or JEdit for that?

riva

yes, they does.
But i think, he asking about something not so `feature-rich'' as
this two GUI. Probably where is some plug-ins for VI or JEdit for that?

Thanks for understanding. When I code in Netbeans then I don't have
control how my sources are stored, how the data files are handled. But
the feature like auto-suggestion for method names etc. is really
helpful. Is there any editor that does this.

Thomas Kellerer

riva wrote on 13.10.2007 11:46:
Thanks for understanding. When I code in Netbeans then I don't have
control how my sources are stored, how the data files are handled.

This is simply not true.

You have full control where an how the sources are stored. Not sure what you
mean with "how data files are handled", but I never had any problems "handling
datafiles" in NetBeans in the last 5 years....

You might need to read the tutorials on the NetBeans site.

Thomas

David Segall

riva said:
I use GNU/Linux. I had programmed in Java writing source code in Vim.
But the huge number of classes and methods is really daunting, and
auto-complete feature really comes in handy. I learned about the IDE's
like Netbeans and Eclipse, but they are too much ``feature-rich'' for
my use. Moreover, they ask me to write in the code they want, not the
way I want it.
Both these IDEs allow you to write any code you feel like. If you
don't want to use their GUI designers or code generating wizards you
are not obliged to.
I found that for Windows there is an editor which is
JBuilder, which auto-indents, auto-completes and highlights too. Is
there any such editor available for GNU/Linux?

JBuilder :) <http://cc.codegear.com/Free.aspx?id=24727>. I believe the
expensive versions are also available for Linux. If you don't want a
full featured Java IDE like JBuilder, Eclipse or NetBeans Roedy Green
has many alternatives at <http://mindprod.com/jgloss/ide.html>

Daniel Pitts

riva said:
I use GNU/Linux. I had programmed in Java writing source code in Vim.
But the huge number of classes and methods is really daunting, and
auto-complete feature really comes in handy. I learned about the IDE's
like Netbeans and Eclipse, but they are too much ``feature-rich'' for
my use. Moreover, they ask me to write in the code they want, not the
way I want it. I found that for Windows there is an editor which is
JBuilder, which auto-indents, auto-completes and highlights too. Is
there any such editor available for GNU/Linux?
Personally, I prefer IntelliJ IDEA, but its a commercial product and
probably two feature rich (whatever that means) for you. It supports
some very nice things, like refactoring, J2EE support, auto-completion,
auto-creation (use something that doesn't exist yet, and it'll help you
create it if you want), and much more.

It does cost a bundle though. If you can get your company to pay for it,
its worth it. If not, then Eclipse and NetBeans are descent enough. If
they "force" you do write your code in a particular way, then its
probably the right way to do it. Otherwise I couldn't see them forcing it.

Lew

riva said:
Thanks for understanding. When I code in Netbeans then I don't have
control how my sources are stored, how the data files are handled. But

This I don't understand. What control are you seeking that NetBeans lacks?

Lew

Daniel said:
If they "force" you do write your code in a particular way, then its
probably the right way to do it. Otherwise I couldn't see them forcing it.

Eclipse, NetBeans, and I'm betting all the other IDEs mentioned, sport
customizable warning and error levels, and style guidelines. Eclipse has
exceptionally fine-grained control over such things. I'm not sure about the
others, but NetBeans lets you edit its source templates ad lib. For example,
my application and servlet templates include the logging aspect. Thus, when I
create a new source file, that aspect is already limned.

All the IDEs default to one set of guidelines or another, conforming to
generally-accepted conventions and best practices.

riva said:
I learned about the IDE's like Netbeans and Eclipse,
but they are too much ``feature-rich'' for my use.

Complaining that an IDE, particularly an open-source one, gives you "too much"
power is like a lottery winner complaining that the jackpot was too big. Get
over it.

Lew

riva said:
I learned about the IDE's like Netbeans and Eclipse,
but they are too much ``feature-rich'' for my use.

Complaining that an IDE, particularly an open-source one, gives you "too much"
power is like a lottery winner complaining that the jackpot was too big. Get
over it.

blmblm

riva said:

Complaining that an IDE, particularly an open-source one, gives you "too much"
power is like a lottery winner complaining that the jackpot was too big. Get
over it.

Well, yeah, but .... (Actually, from what I hear, coming into
a lot of money also has its downsides, such as relatives whose
existence you previously didn't even suspect suddenly appearing
and asking for help with their financial troubles. Not that this
would necessarily outweigh the prospect of being independently
wealthy, or at least affluent!)

But I wonder whether the OP's objection is to the fact that
the mentioned IDEs do seem rather large and complicated, with
their own terminology whose meaning might not be obvious to
the novice (what does Eclipse mean by "project"? "workspace"?
"perspective"?). And then there's the matter of all those menus,
and the little icons whose meaning isn't immediately apparent ....

As anyone who's sampled the "Great SWT Program" thread [*]
lately knows, however, my taste in tools is not very mainstream.

[*] Which has drifted entirely away from its original topic, and
into a discussion of full-GUI versus text-semi-GUI, Unix versus
Windows, etc.

Not knockin' Eclipse or Netbeans -- I don't know enough about
Netbeans to say, and Eclipse seems like a nice tool. Just sayin'
that I can understand how either one might seem a little daunting
to someone accustomed to simpler tools.

Lew

Not knockin' Eclipse or Netbeans -- I don't know enough about
Netbeans to say, and Eclipse seems like a nice tool. Just sayin'
that I can understand how either one might seem a little daunting
to someone accustomed to simpler tools.

The OP didn't say, "It's too hard to use." The OP said it was too
"``feature-rich''".

Difficult to use is easy to fix: read the docs, and practice. Too
"feature-rich" is a bogus complaint.

If they find NetBeans too hard to use, what are they going to think of Java
itself?

As to "unknown relatives" pestering the newly rich, that's easy to fix. Would
you rather forego the gazillion ducats just because third-cousin twice-removed
Sadie might attempt to pester you?

Just say, "No."

blmblm

The OP didn't say, "It's too hard to use." The OP said it was too
"``feature-rich''".

Yes, but .... I thought maybe what was really meant was "so
feature-rich as to be intimidating to newbies". Perhaps the OP
will chime in again and clear up whether that was what was meant,
or the complaint really was about having too many features,
independent of whether they make the tool more difficult for
newbies.

[ snip ]
As to "unknown relatives" pestering the newly rich, that's easy to fix. Would
you rather forego the gazillion ducats just because third-cousin twice-removed
Sadie might attempt to pester you?

"Asked and answered" -- didn't I say something about these demands
not necessarily outweighing the good points?
Just say, "No."

Well, sure. I'd think that would be difficult for some people
to do without feeling guilty (justified or not), not to mention
that fending them off might be a nuisance. But I suppose you
could use some of the newfound wealth to hire a butler, and make
more use of answering machines!

Lew

Well, sure. I'd think that would be difficult for some people
to do without feeling guilty (justified or not), not to mention
that fending them off might be a nuisance. But I suppose you
could use some of the newfound wealth to hire a butler, and make
more use of answering machines!

Hire a financial planner, get an unlisted number and move to a gated
community, better yet, out of the country to an undisclosed address. When
people reach you anyway, tell them that you have your CFP handle it all, and
hang up.

Answering machines are for people you allow to have your phone number. As a
friend of mine pointed out, they don't need to be recording machines; you can
limit them to "announce only", living up to the description of "answering"
machine and no further.

It's all in my blog, "How to Manage Your Windfall", available on
http://scam.blogspam.spam/lewsnonsense, coming soon to a plagiarist near you.

Roedy Green

Complaining that an IDE, particularly an open-source one, gives you "too much"
power is like a lottery winner complaining that the jackpot was too big. Get
over it.

Ah ha! you are the guy who designs cellphones with featuritis so that
if you miskey it takes 20 minutes to get the phone back to a state
where it can make a phone call.

Features you don't use (yet) take up real estate and make it harder to
find the features you do. I think an IDE should start out with just
the basics enabled, and gradually reveal its features, and rehide ones
you don't use. Of course for experts they should provide a way to
show all available.

Further, a feature needs at least a paragraph of introduction telling
you not only what it does but what it is for, what sort of problems it
is designed to solve.

Lew

Lew wrote,
Roedy said:
Ah ha! you are the guy who designs cellphones with featuritis so that
if you miskey it takes 20 minutes to get the phone back to a state
where it can make a phone call.

Actually, I designed a cell phone with only three buttons for an interview.
The main design decision was to focus on making phone calls, and forgo
cameras, audio, text messaging and the like. I also made an effort to make it
usable without looking at it, figuring that would help drivers who make phone
calls not to have accidents.

So, I cry "Foul!' on that particular accusation. (Just your luck that you'd
pick an analogy for which I have a specific counter-example, eh?)

I think NetBeans comes close to the ideal you describe. Its basic features
are like most any IDE, enough so that one can get into it quite quickly, a
matter of minutes, really.

Later as one develops the need for more variations on the defaults, NetBeans
makes it fairly easy to explore the available options.