Java generics migration

Dave Benjamin

Now that Java 5 has been out for a little while, I wonder how the
migration experience has gone for maintainers of existing Java projects.
I work on a medium-sized (~150 KLOC) Java application, and I'm starting
to look into a migration strategy, especially relating to the
collections classes.

Are there some documents on the web that I should be reading to get my
bearings on this situation? I found this article:

http://pag.csail.mit.edu/pubs/genericlibs-tip-ecoop2005.pdf

The idea of automated refactoring sounds helpful. Do any IDEs currently
offer support in the analysis of existing code and/or semi-automated
conversion to the generic container classes?

Is there a practical way of causing the compiler to emit strict warnings
about old-style usage of container classes and other "unsafe" operations
on a file-by-file basis, so that it's not all-or-nothing? I fear the
deluge of compiler warnings resulting from a project-wide compiler
setting...

I'd love to hear any of your experiences about making the switch.

Thanks,
Dave

IchBin

Dave said:
[...]

You can use the -Xlint:unchecked compiler option

There is a Generics.PDF out at Sun. Don't have the link on me.

I found some informational PDF's here..

http://www.agiledeveloper.com/download.aspx

enums December
Java 5 Features - Part II