Java on the desktop

mike

I provide Web services that run on my server with Tomcat, Apache and
JSP.

I've had requests from clients that want some on the functionally to
run offline on their desktops then upload the resulting data to my
server.

What would be the best way to develop the desktop service?

I'm considering:

1. Apache, Tomcat and mod-version of my JSPs

2. Applets

3. Swing

Just based on the above information, what would you recommend?

It appears that in each, the client would have to install as a minimum
the Java VM.

Is it possible to combine Tomcat, Java VM and Apache into one self
install package with scripting that would set up the environment for
the user? If so, what would that be written in? Visual Basic?

Roedy Green

I've had requests from clients that want some on the functionally to
run offline on their desktops then upload the resulting data to my
server.

What would be the best way to develop the desktop service?

I'm considering:

1. Apache, Tomcat and mod-version of my JSPs

2. Applets

3. Swing

Java Web Start is likely what you want. That provides easy install and
automatic update. It also allows offline/online running, and for you
to control whether apps can run offline.

Applets only work online.

JWS is usually Swing. The main reason to go AWT is to avoid cut/paste
deficiencies.

Your JWS talks a compact protocol with your server, or it can emulate
an HTML form.

For very elaborate communication, you might use RMI.

See http://mindprod.com/jgloss/javawebstart.html
http://mindprod.com/jgloss/rmi.html
http://mindprod.com/jgloss/swing.html
http://mindprod.com/jgloss/awt.html