Java Software Engineering Position (CSIRO - Sydney, Australia)

Discussion in 'Java' started by Andrew, Aug 3, 2005.

  1. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    A fantastic opportunity for an experienced Java Developer. We are currently
    seeking a software engineer (5+ years commercial experience) to work in a small
    team of engineers and scientists and be responsible for implementing
    world-leading research ideas in software.

    Reference Number: 2005/775
    Position Title: Software Engineer - Information Delivery
    Division: CSIRO ICT Centre
    Location: North Ryde, NSW
    Salary Range: $56k - $72k (AUD)
    Tenure: 3 year term
    Applicants: International Applicants Welcome
    Relocation Assistance: May be offered to the successful applicant.
    Applications Close: 17 Aug 2005
    Job Category: Scientific Research

    You can find out more about our research or about the CSIRO ICT Centre by
    visiting: <http://www.ict.csiro.au/id>

    See the full position description at
    <http://recruitment.csiro.au/asp/job_details.asp?RefNo=2005/775> for details on
    selection criteria, and how to apply.

    Cheers,
    Andrew

    Andrew, Aug 3, 2005

  2. Andrew sez:
    A permanent CSIRO position with $72k AU (starting) + super, health,
    and relocation costs would be "excellent". You'd have to do better
    than that for "fantastic". As it is, it doesn't sound all that great.

    HTH,HAND
    Dima

    Dimitri Maziuk, Aug 5, 2005

  3. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    Hi Dimitri,

    To address your points:
    1. Super is in addition to the stated salary range. It's also a better
    rate of superannuation than private industry will pay.
    2. In Australia, it's very rare for health insurance to be part of an
    employment package. This is not included.
    3. As stated in the job ad, relocation costs *may* be covered for the
    successful applicant.

    I know damn well you can go out and earn a stack more money doing
    software engineering grunt work in the financial services or a host of
    other industries, but how much will you enjoy coming to work? What's
    fantastic about this opportunity is the variety and nature of the work,
    not to mention that it's in lovely sunny Sydney. There's more to life
    than money my friend.

    Cheers,
    Andrew

    Andrew, Aug 6, 2005
  4. Money is good. Most of us have the sense to enjoy
    or social lives and endure the earning.

    I am not saying that some of us do *not* enjoy the
    'grunt work'. I personally, had a great time on a
    Swing contract earlier this year doing what was
    primarily maintenance coding (debugging and tweaking
    other people's code).
    Yeah, already there.
    There is. I was actually considering applying for your
    position, (despite the bargain basement wage) but decided
    not to waste my time when I saw the requirements.

    Good luck with finding your candidate.

    And as an aside, the folks around here are not too
    partial to job adverts, though it is an ill-defined
    area. I recommend that in future you limit yourselves
    to advertising in the local media and the job networks.

    Andrew Thompson, Aug 6, 2005
  5. Andrew Thompson sez:
    Actually, the top mark is not bad at all for .auain academentia.
    However, if you're a "welcome international applicant" from, say,
    ..us or .eu, and you want to spend your vacations at home, the price
    of tickets will make you wince even at $72kpa -- provided they offer
    you that much in the first place.

    What you probably don't know is that main advantage of CSIRO jobs is
    job security. Which doesn't seem to be the case here.

    Dima

    Dimitri Maziuk, Aug 9, 2005