Java Syntax Extensions

Stefan Ram

Martin Gregorie said:
The problem is that declaring a variable as 'static' doesn't
really indicate that its common to all instances of the
declaring class as well as containing a persistent value.

It indicates what is being specified about it in the Java
Language Specification, Third Edition. I do not see a problem.
The same argument applies to C, where 'persistent' would be a
better modifier than 'static', because thats really what
'static' means in that language.

It also has other meanings in C, as in

static void f(){}

. »Persistent storage« often is used to describe storage
persisting a program invocation (persisting a process).
In Java 'static' could usefully be replaced by 'singular' or 'common' to
indicate that the variable is accessible from several class instances.

A static field of a class is accessible even without
any class instance.

»static« does not need to refer to a variable at all,
it also might refer to an inner class.

Arne Vajhøj

Mark said:
I'd like to see some kind of specialized language that compiles to
.class files, then use Java for the mundane things like networking, web,
SQL and plain IO.

That would be the best of both worlds, imo. But not trying to import
every grammar under the sun into Java, please never that.

There are plenty of languages that can be compiled to Java byte code.

Ada, Python etc.

I believe several of them support operator overload.

And they can use Java classes.

So it is already here.

Arne

Mark Space

Arne said:
Mark Space wrote:

There are plenty of languages that can be compiled to Java byte code.

Ada, Python etc.

I'd consider those general purpose languages. What I mean is a family
of languages for specialized tasks that Java doesn't handle well.
Numerical computation might be one. Certain types of graphical
manipulation or parsing might be others.

I'm just sort of speculating here, no realy plan or idea what, if
anything is needed.

Arne Vajhøj

Mark said:
I'd consider those general purpose languages. What I mean is a family
of languages for specialized tasks that Java doesn't handle well.
Numerical computation might be one. Certain types of graphical
manipulation or parsing might be others.

I'm just sort of speculating here, no realy plan or idea what, if
anything is needed.

Well - Fortran was a general purpose language many years ago.

Is Fortress (http://projectfortress.sun.com/Projects/Community) closer
to what you are think of ?

Arne