JavaScript at Davar Web Site

Vladimir Veytsel

Please find at the link below samples of JavaScript programming
techniques along with several useful fully-functional JavaScripts.

http://www.davar.net/INTERNET/JAVA-SCR/JAVA-SCR.HTM

JavaScript Frequently Asked Questions
JavaScript programming code patters
Extract navigation bar generation (function)
Local control of modification date colors (driven by date difference)
Random song (random selection from a list sectioned into 3 parts)
Random problem (random selection from a list sectioned into "n" parts)
Random tagline (random selection controlled by selection history)
Alphabet hyperlinks generation (function)
Go board position generation (function)
Productivity issues of the document.write
JavaScript links

Dr John Stockton

JRS: In article <[email protected]>, seen in
Please find at the link below samples of JavaScript programming
techniques along with several useful fully-functional JavaScripts.

http://www.davar.net/INTERNET/JAVA-SCR/JAVA-SCR.HTM

The site appears not to have been updated significantly in the last
couple of years.

Dates should be given in an internationally unambiguous format, and not
as dd/mm/yyyy or mm/dd/yyyy, one of which you use.

Vladimir Veytsel

Yes, you are right I didn't put significant updates to the JavaScript
section for quite a time. Significant updates (I have plenty to do)
require significant time (I have next to nothing). Yet, the latest
update was on 10/19/2003 (some corrections, don't remember
what now). This can be traced from the site entry page
http://www.davar.net and followed by colored dates -
described at http://www.davar.net/ABOUT.HTM#Bottom
(JS for handling dates' colors globally through entire site is good
candidate to describe... when I'll get some time).

Dates throughout my site are in MM/DD/YYYY - format - I'll add this
eventually to "About" to avoid misunderstanding. This is hardly a
logical standard - field significance is neither increasing, nor
decreasing. I've been irritated myself by it for many years, and
kept using DD.MM.YYYY standard that I've got accustomed to
before coming to US. With time, however, I've realized that for
certain things it's easier to "follow the crowd" than to try to make
your way against it. When entire system of civil life and business
uses one date format (derived from the language, not from the
logic), and you use another (say, DD.MM.YYYY or YYYY-MM-DD)
it creates a lot of inconveniences that eventually force you into the
compliance. After all we write from left to right and top-down, while
most of the Orient writes top-down and right to left - how one would
find what's right. I believe that same is true for the date formats,
or decimal designator, and similar conventions.

I should have described, of course, what date format I was using.
I'll try to do this as soon as I'll have some time.

Vladimir Veytsel.
http://www.davar.net

Dr John Stockton

[...]

The dates displayed on your site should be there for the convenience of
readers, not for yours. Only a small proportion of your readers will be
Americans.

Alter your dates to use a three-letter abbreviation for the month.
Anyone who can read English well enough to understand the site will
recognise the month abbreviations, when next to a year number. Even
Americans will understand that.

If you have a DOS prompt, or UNIX, available on the machine that holds
the master copies of the site, then 12 passes of MiniTrue, one per
month, will fix all the dates :

mtr -x+ *.htm - 08/(\d\d)/(\d\d\d\d) = "\2 Aug \1"

does August, for example, converting "08/xx/yyyy" to "yyyy Aug xx".

A single pass of

mtr -x+ *.htm - (\d\d)/(\d\d)/(\d\d\d\d) = "\3-\1-\2"

converts all mm/dd/yyyy to yyyy-mm-dd.

Do those without -n, in case you have any ##/##/#### that should not be
converted. Use -r for sub-directories. Consider -d.

Note that the entire system of civil life, in 99.5% of the countries of
the world, does NOT use mm/dd/yyyy; it uses either dd/mm/yyyy or
yyyy/mm/dd (with variation in separator).

I've never come across anyone who did not understand yyyy-mm-dd,
although some evidently did not expect it.

ISO-8601 specifies that order; for links, see
<URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/datefmts.htm#8601>. See also USA
Standards ANSI X3.30-1985(R1991), FIPS PUB 4-1, 4-2.

A fairly recent copy of W3's free HTML-checker, TIDY, gives 38 warnings
on http://www.davar.net/INTERNET/JAVA-SCR/JAVA-SCR.HTM .