JBOSS, Tomcat and EJB Handles

Jani A Heinonen

I have a strange problem using EJB Handles on JBOSS 3.2.2 with
standalone Tomcat 4.1.29. I have configured The <ejb-ref>s in the
Toncat web app deployment descriptor, configured them in server.xml
under the <Context> with the appropriate JNDI parameters for JBOSS and
wrote a custom EJBFactory for Tomcat that gets the JNDI parameters as
javax.naming.RefAddr objects and performs the lookup to JBOSS (the
default factory just didn't work). On the web tier side, I look the
beans up as "java:comp/env/<ejb-ref>".

The problem I am facing is this: I just can't be able to use Handles
with this configuration. Looking up the home object and getting the
HomeHandle from it works fine, but when I try to get the home object
back from the HomeHandle, I get a javax.naming.NameNotFoundException,
claiming that the name is not bound. I have the same problem with
Handles and remote objects.

The problem persists even if I ditch the <ejb-refs> and call the beans
directly by their JNDI names. Handles (both home and remote) work
perfectly with the embedded Tomcat server. What am I doing wrong?