JDialog to appear in Windows Taskbar

RVince

I have an application whose only gui is to invoke a JDialog and
display it. On Windows machines, I need to have an the usual taskbar
button, typically at the bottom of the screen on Windows systems,
appear. It seems that simply invoking a modal JDialog wont put
anything into the Windows taskbar, and thus if a user puts another
Window in front of this JDialog -- they can even forget it's there!.

Does anyone know of a workaround to this? Thanks, R.Vince

Knute Johnson

RVince said:
I have an application whose only gui is to invoke a JDialog and
display it. On Windows machines, I need to have an the usual taskbar
button, typically at the bottom of the screen on Windows systems,
appear. It seems that simply invoking a modal JDialog wont put
anything into the Windows taskbar, and thus if a user puts another
Window in front of this JDialog -- they can even forget it's there!.

Does anyone know of a workaround to this? Thanks, R.Vince

As of 1.6 that is easy to do. Create a JDialog with the
DialogModalityType of TOOLKIT_MODAL.

import java.awt.*;
import java.awt.event.*;
import javax.swing.*;

public class test8 {
Runnable r = new Runnable() {
public void run() {
JDialog d = new JDialog(
(Frame)null,Dialog.ModalityType.TOOLKIT_MODAL);
d.setTitle("title");
d.setSize(300,200);
d.setVisible(true);
System.exit(0);
}
};
EventQueue.invokeLater(r);

Knute Johnson

RVince said:
Thanks Knute,

Unfortunately I have to be 1.4.2 compatible here. -R. Vince

Why would you want to use a compiler that in a very few months will be
obsolete?

Use a Frame/JFrame instead of a dialog.

Joined
May 3, 2012
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
showing taskbar button while JDialog opened

hi, i am new to this forum. so hope you all will forgive my mistakes if any....
Thank you in advance.

This is a answer for Rvince's question.
it is simple process though.

Just now before posting this reply I found the way. I was too searching internet for this answer. after all i found it my self.

i am doing an application for my personal use. it came up with the same issue when opening a dialog box, it hided the jframe. so i did a little bit of change to the code. and found workin better enough

this is the code which found erronic.

Code:
this.setVisible(false);

frmcompiler = new frmCompiler(this,true);
frmcompiler.setLocationByPlatform(true);
frmcompiler.setLocationRelativeTo(this);
frmcompiler.setVisible(true);

this.setVisible(true);
the statement
Code:
this.setVisible(true/false);
made it worst
it hided the jframe and the taskbar button vanished. so i made a little bit of change like the following
Code:
//this.setVisible(false);

frmcompiler = new frmCompiler(this,true);
frmcompiler.setLocationByPlatform(true);
frmcompiler.setLocationRelativeTo(this);

this.setState(javax.swing.JFrame.ICONIFIED);

frmcompiler.setVisible(true);

//this.setVisible(true);
this.setState(javax.swing.JFrame.NORMAL);
see the difference? i just commented the visiblity statement and
used the setState function to the parent form. so i can iconify the parent form, and the taskbar button stayed alive...

hope this will help you....
:)

oops forget to type.
frmCompiler is the JDialog window. and "this" denotes the parent form.

Last edited:
Joined
May 3, 2012
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Mr. Rvince,

one more thing is i used Netbeans 7.1 and jdk 1.7. so i am not sure about how much it could work for you with java 1.4

Thank you