JMF, FrameAccess, sound, faster processing

Boris Gorjan

I used JMF's example class FrameAccess to process audio/video files. The
Processor processes data according to the frame rate specified in the file.

1. Is there a way to do this processing faster? I don't want to view (and listen
to) those vids, just process them. I'm ready to use 100% of the CPU if need be.

2. As the file is processed, a sound is generated and can be listened to through
a sound card's output. Is this entirely necessary? I'm asking because I want to
process files simultaneously and that would result in a cacophony. Besides, say
I want to listen to my own music while the processing takes place.

3. How does one extract sound from a video file? Can it be extracted as a whole?
Can it be broken down into chunks according to extracted image frames? How? In
which formats? I'm stuck in an implementation of Codec interface, much like
JMF's example PreProcessCodec.java, but with AudioFormat (supported ins and
outs), so I can access a sound frame through a Buffer, but I don't know how to
proceed.

Thanks for any insight.