JMF video question

Christian Otteneuer

Hallo ng,

I have a weird problem using the Media Player offered by the JMF.
Please have a look on the following code:

public class MyClass implements ControllerListener{
public void initMediaPlayer() {
video = new JPanel();
video.setBackground(null);
if (player != null)
player.close ();
player = new MediaPlayer();
player.setPlaybackLoop(false);
player.setPopupActive(false);
player.addControllerListener (this);
player.prefetch ();
video.add(player);
}

public synchronized void controllerUpdate(ControllerEvent arg0) {
// set time span (stored in a static variable)
if (arg0 instanceof RealizeCompleteEvent) {
player.setMediaTime(new Time(getStartTime()));
// user may not use the scroller before the stop time have been
reached
player.setStopTime(new Time(getEndTime()));
validate();
return;
}
// play the video
if (arg0 instanceof PrefetchCompleteEvent) {
player.start ();
return;
}

This will play my video from the positions stored in the static variables
startTime to endTime which is what I wanted. So, it plays a short extract of
my video. The problem is, that the user may not use the "position scroller"
(what's the right name for that?) to get to a position in the video that
lies after endTime. If he does, the program will crash.
When the stop time is reached, it is posible to use the scroller, but only
then.

Does anyone have an idea how I can solve this problem?

Cheers,

Chris

Christian Otteneuer

I think, I found a theoretical solution, But it appears to be not doable in
practise.

if (arg0 instanceof MediaTimeSetEvent ) {
player.setStopTime(Clock.RESET);
}

This code fragment is called, when the user changes the position in the
video. My idea was to change the stopTime. Unfortunately, it throws me an
error:

javax.media.StopTimeSetError: setStopTime() may be set only once on a
Started Clock

Any other ideas anyone?

Cheers in advance,

Chris