JRuby at JavaOne 2006

Charles O Nutter

Just a quick heads up for all you poor Java-devs-that-dig-Ruby: Tom Enebo
and I have been accepted for a JRuby technical session at JavaOne this
year. We should have most of the milestones I talked about at RubyConf
completed, and oughta have plenty more cool demos to run. If all goes
well, we may have Rails running under JRuby too.

JavaOne is in San Francisco, May 16-19 this year. If you go, find me
and we'll grab a beer or sumthin.

There's a more detailed announcement on my blog, http://headius.blogspot.co=
m/.

Happy coding!

- Charlie

mortench

Sounds great! That will interesting to attend!

I am very interested in (J)Ruby especially in combindation with Java.
Ruby is a great language but the Ruby "VM" is 10 years behind the JVM.
With JRuby, we can get the best of two worlds.

I particular love that JRuby can easily call and extend Java classes
and that Java code can call ruby. This enables very interesting
joint-language projects, once JRuby matures a bit (currently there are
serious multi-threading problems with JRuby - I hear to be fixed soon).

The posting mentioned future posibility of running "Ruby On Rails" on
JRuby. Great! That would be a killer-application for many.

Bil Kleb

Charles said:
Just a quick heads up for all you poor Java-devs-that-dig-Ruby: Tom Enebo
and I have been accepted for a JRuby technical session at JavaOne this
year. We should have most of the milestones I talked about at RubyConf
completed, and oughta have plenty more cool demos to run.

Most awesome news!

Regards,