jsp, containers, beans and persistence

milkyway

Hello there,

I have heard that one can set a .jsp page so that the content is valid
over an entire session. Is this true? Are there any examples where one
may see this?

Also, if it is true, then has anyone come across any problems with the
use of the Tomcat container to pass variables for use from one jsp page
to another? Are there any limits to what the container can hold - for
example, if I have 5 jsp pages:

first.jsp
second.jsp
third.jsp
fourth.jsp
fifth.jsp

and I use a setName for first.jsp, can use a getName on fifth.jsp
(assuming that the variable is in the cloud called "the container"
somewhere)?

I hope I am making sense ;-)

Kindest Regards.

Rogier R. Spaans

Hi,
I don't know if I really understand your point, but I think you're
refering to the 'scope' of a variable. A web container has three
different scopes: request, session an application.
Request is only present during the processing of a single request.
Session parameters are available during the lifetime and in the context
of the session, and application parameters are valid, and shared over
multiple sessions within the context of the application.
In your jsp you can use request.getParameter("name"),
session.getParameter("name") and application.getParameter("name").

regards,
Rogier Spaans

milkyway

Hello,

Thank you for the information. This clears up quite a bit for me ;-)
Kind Regards.