JSP countdown timer

agold791

I am interested in creating a web based countdown timer that could be
started, stopped, or reset on the server side. Any ideas?

Roedy Green

I am interested in creating a web based countdown timer that could be
started, stopped, or reset on the server side. Any ideas?

See http://mindprod.com/jgloss/timer.html

For arranging periodic screen updates.

See http://mindprod.com/time.html
for measuring elapsed time.

Keep uppermost in your mind that Timers make trigger any time AFTER
the desired time depending on how busy the system is.

If I were doing this I would use an Applet that managed the display
perhaps updating it several times a second. The server would just
send messages on another thread to meddle with its default operation.

If you don't feel up to this, I could write you one to your specs for
a fee.

Jack

See http://mindprod.com/jgloss/timer.html

For arranging periodic screen updates.

See http://mindprod.com/time.html
for measuring elapsed time.

but he wants a countdown timer, which I'd reckon would best be inverse
logic to that of elapsed time: get currentTimeMillis, do the math to
the milliseconds of the target time (say, the end of an auction), and
report the difference on the web page. In that way, you're not
concerned about trigerring any event - you only have net latency to
gives any minor imperfections.

For start/stop/reset, maybe an applet that opens a socket to the
server for control, or else a manager servlet/jsp with an HTML form,
each being password protected.