key words instead of predef

Robert Brewer

I said:
I expect to add another paragraph or two based on alternate keywords
which people support (vocally *and* technically). I would say
all of the "*def" candidates could work. In the interest of
generating more content for that paragraph ;) here's the devil's
advocate view of predef:

1) It's not a word. But then "def" isn't either.
2) If it is a word, it's a verb. Dependent suite keywords tend to be
adverbial. Perhaps there's a more adverbial word which means, "set up
these items for later processing". Unfortunately for English,
this form
of "predef" would be "predefining". Some synonym of
"prepare", perhaps?

I'll think about it some more.

How about "fix"? From OneLook (serious connotations):

verb: make ready or suitable or equip in advance for a particular
purpose or for some use, event, etc (Example: "I was fixing to leave
town after I paid the hotel bill") verb: set or place definitely
(Example: "Let's fix the date for the party!")
verb: make fixed, stable or stationary (Example: "Let's fix the
picture to the frame")
verb: cause to be firmly attached (Example: "She fixed her gaze on the
man")
verb: put (something somewhere) firmly (Example: "Fix your eyes on
this spot") noun: the act of putting something in working order again
verb: restore by replacing a part or putting together what is torn or
broken
verb: decide upon or fix definitely (Example: "Fix the variables")

and now the hilarious connotations :)

noun: an exemption granted after influence (e.g., money) is brought to
bear (Example: "Collusion resulted in tax fixes for gamblers")
noun: something craved, especially an intravenous injection of a
narcotic drug (Example: "She needed a fix of chocolate")
noun: informal terms for a difficult situation (Example: "He got into
a terrible fix")
verb: kill, preserve, and harden (tissue) in order to prepare for
microscopic study
verb: take vengeance on or get even (Example: "That'll fix him good!")

verb: make infertile

roflmao,

Robert Brewer
MIS