LazyHttp, or the HTTP protocol dissected...

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Building Controls' started by Thomas Hansen, Dec 16, 2006.

  1. Howdy, I've been working on this solution for quite some time where we
    basically turn the HTTP protocol upside down and manages to have a
    "Message Que" on the server from which we can post "events" back to the
    client upon.
    Basically it works by having a VERY LONG timeout on an Ajax HTTP
    Request that basically never returns before something happens on the
    server that raises an event, and when an event is raised that event is
    returned to the client on that "locked" http Ajax request.
    For those interested in reading about it have a look at my blog her:
    http://www.frostinnovation.com/Blog.aspx
    And for those interested in seeing a sample implementation of it have a
    look here:
    http://www.frostinnovation.com/PresentasjonUtviklerForum/Chat.aspx

    Then to my question, after reviewing the basic concept, I've managed to
    pinpoint a couple of problem areas, but I'm not really sure if I've
    managed to pinpoint them all?
    My biggest concern is the THREADS that's locked on the server...
    How many threads can e.g. Windows Server 2003 have in the NETWORKING
    process before it "crashes" completely...?
    I think the general number for ANY process on Windows Server 2003 is
    something about 32000 or something...?
    Is there any other reason as to what might happen when this solution is
    scaled extremely upwards?

    Eager to get responses and discussions around this theme, regards

    PS!
    For those interested in using this for themself, we're interested in
    getting in contact with early adopters and beta testers for a framework
    we're developing called Gaia WOS which includes among other things this
    concept.

    Thomas Hansen

    Thomas Hansen, Dec 16, 2006

  2. Thomas Hansen

    Lars Knudsen Guest

    If it's a 32bit machine (server 2003), I think there is a limit of
    around 2000 standard threads in all. This is because each thread takes
    around 1mb in heap and 2GB is what can normally be addressed by
    programs. if you use linux kernel 2.6+, it supports a great deal more.
    My guess is that 64bit windows does too (but you would probably want to
    verify that ;-) )

    I can find the articles/links if you need some more info.

    - Lars

    Lars Knudsen, Feb 28, 2007