License Manager in Java

Ravi Shankar Nair

Dear all,

This is a repeated question, since previously I could not get much help.

I need a License Manager which will open a UI and automatically fill in a
field in the UI, with the serial number of CPU. Along with email address and
other details of the customer, the UI will send an email to admin, who in
turn will generate the license, encrypting the CPU serial number. This
ensures that the software could not be installed in any other machine. (
Another way is to encrypt the host name of the computer of the customer, but
I would like to have more secure way, since host name could be changed)

Reody Green had pointed his site earlier in which there is a program to read
the CPU serial number of a Pentium machine, but sadly I could see that it is
not working on my SONY machine. Another problem is that , what will happen
if the host system is in Sun Solaris or HP AIX.

Can anyone kindly help me to give the link for open source or commercial
license generator tool which will have this capability irrespective of the
platform ? Thanks a lot in advance, since I was evaluating EasyLicenser,
ChainKey etc. I could not find one which satisfies my requirements in entore
web. Anyone has knowledge of such a tool, please advise.

Warmest regards,
Ravi

Chris Smith

Ravi Shankar Nair said:
Can anyone kindly help me to give the link for open source or commercial
license generator tool which will have this capability irrespective of the
platform ?

No. Not all platforms even provide that information. In fact, it
appears to be pretty much limited to Intel, as far as I can tell.

If you do accomplish this somehow, make sure you're prepared for a
support call every time one of your customers gets a new computer or
swaps a CPU.

--
www.designacourse.com

MindIQ Corporation

Daniel Dyer

No. Not all platforms even provide that information. In fact, it
appears to be pretty much limited to Intel, as far as I can tell.

A better approach would probably be to base the licence on the MAC address
of a network interface. This is not 100% infallible, but it's probably as
good as you are going to be able to achieve.

Dan.

Roedy Green

A better approach would probably be to base the licence on the MAC address
of a network interface. This is not 100% infallible, but it's probably as
good as you are going to be able to achieve.

I seem to recall JDK 1.6 is supposed to have some code to get the MAC
address. I had a look at getting in from Windows . OUCH! What a
mess!!

I wonder if there are still Token Ring cards still around and whether
they have an equivalent.

IIRC there are some cards around that lets you set the MAC address.
This would be useful in cracking your scheme.

You can create a synthetic id by doing things like looking at the
brand/size of the disk, brand/size of the CPU, amount of RAM, video
card brand. This presumes you have a mechanism to reissue licences
when hardware changes or the app moves. The main thing you want to
stop is the app getting loose on the web and being used by everyone .

Joined
Apr 28, 2009
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Java License Manager

It may be a bit late for you, but if anyone else runs across this requirements, we use EasyLicenser from Agilis, and it has a multiplatform Java client that includes locking to e.g. MAC address. agilis-sw [dot] com for details.