Sathyaish

OK, I almost got my problem solved. Zen is almost there! Just that a
LinkButton control inside a column in my datagrid doesn't show like a
link button. It does not have an underlining. My client side JavaScript
is enabled. How do I make the button underlined and appear and act like
a linkbutton? Currently, it just displays the text like a normal
label/table cell that has a label.

Hans Kesting

Sathyaish said:
OK, I almost got my problem solved. Zen is almost there! Just that a
LinkButton control inside a column in my datagrid doesn't show like a
link button. It does not have an underlining. My client side
JavaScript is enabled. How do I make the button underlined and appear
and act like a linkbutton? Currently, it just displays the text like
a normal label/table cell that has a label.

Does it *work* like a linkbutton?
That linkbutton is just a regular hyperlink for the browser, so standard CSS applies.
Does your CSS remove that underlining from all hyperlinks?

Hans Kesting

Sathyaish

It looks like the LinkButton cannot be databound. If it is, it just
disappears. As a test, I tried this:

<asp:TemplateColumn HeaderText="Full Name">
<ItemTemplate>
<asp:LinkButton OnClick="dg_ItemCommand">
<%# DataBinder.Eval(Container.DataItem, "Full Name")%>
</asp:LinkButton>
</ItemTemplate>
</asp:TemplateColumn>

The column displays the correct full name value but no underlining. I
am guessing that the grid replaced the linkbutton with a literal
control. I did this and found out.

lblMessage.Text = dg.Items(1).Cells(0).Controls(0).GetType.ToString

in a button_click.

Then, I tried this:

<asp:LinkButton id="lnk" style="Z-INDEX: 104; LEFT: 432px; POSITION:
absolute; TOP: 80px" runat="server">The date and time is: <%#
System.DateTime.Now.ToLongDateString %></asp:LinkButton>

And it only showed the link button with the text

The date and time is:

How do I have a control in a grid that:

(1) Is DataBound
(2) Appears and acts like a linkbutton
(3) Does not behave like the ItemTemplate's EditItem where you have
those edit textboxes inside the grid itself.

Sathyaish

No, the default CSS, Styles.css in my solution does the formatting and
it doesn't override any default styles. So, if I look at a new
LinkButton that I drag from the toolbox to the web form, it looks
alright and behaves alright.

Just that when I try to bind it, it disappears. Look at my post above
in this same thread. I am suspecting that the link button does not
support data binding.

Can you give me an alternative for a control that data binds and also
acts like a link and has a post method rather than redirect?